Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 288 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #74304 04/18/10 05:56 PM
    C
    Chrys Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    I caught my 7 yo reading Genius Denied last week.

She wrote her principal an advocacy letter yesterday. The kid is dangerous.

Warning: sleep deprived
    Chrys #74305 04/18/10 06:15 PM
    The power of information smile

B
    B
    smile Love your daughter's gumption!!

blob #74308 04/18/10 06:38 PM
    K
    K
    ROFL. I love it. You go girl.

kimck #74316 04/18/10 09:24 PM
    The kid is AWESOME! Genius UNdenied! laugh

Kriston
    C
    Chrys Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Her school is k-12. There are 2 libraries, one for k-gr 5, and a middle/high school one. She is going to allowed to go to the upper school library for non-fiction books for her classroom work.

Also she is going to get more guidance about what she could read for pleasure out of the lower school library that is "harder" than the 5th grade-ish stuff she has found on her own. (She'll be 8 and in 3rd next year. I'm guessing this is a sign that her library access will continue to be fluid as she progresses through elementary school.)

She is going to get a harder spelling list asap - her class has differentiated spelling lists but she has asked for a 4th grade list.

The principal told her that reading groups were going to be done differently next year.

Her two best friends are in her spelling and reading groups. Her letter stated that she needs harder work, but doesn't want to hurt their feelings and feels stuck. The principal emailed her back within hours on a Saturday. So I think its going to be okay.

I'm so relieved. The school recently asked us to get a 2nd neuropsych eval done because they couldn't figure out how to help her. We had done one last year, and had gotten her many appropriate accommodations. But we didn't want to retest her and were feeling wary about sending her back to school next year. Clearly we all just needed to ask her what to do.

Thanks for reading.

Warning: sleep deprived
    Chrys #74340 04/19/10 07:27 AM
    I
    I
    It's encouraging that the principal was quick to respond. I was reading Daniel Pink's Drive yesterday and there was a passage on grit that made me think of your DD's letter. Grit is defined as "perseverance and passion for long term goals...in every field, grit may be as essential as talent to high accomplishment." Sounds like she's got it in spades.

inky #74346 04/19/10 08:25 AM
    I
    I
    When I was in elementary school, we had one library, but we were limited from K-3 to the "little kids" books, and we could only check out chapter books once we reached 4th grade (wow... now that I think about it, that would have been a DISASTER for both of my kids, and may help explain the lousy education system in my home town...). I was itching for chapter books by the end of first grade. I reached a compromise with the librarian that I could go to library during recess once a week to check out books from the big kids section. Don't recall that my parents even got involved... just saying that maybe your D could ask for an arrangement where she does something like this, goes at recess time once a week and is also allowed to check out fiction. Since it is K-12, maybe the librarians could also just have to okay what she checks out for appropriateness.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM