Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 115 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    K
    OP Offline
    K
    I am part of a study group that is visiting gifted schools. At a relatively new charter school, an administrator indicated that they could not legally discriminate based on test scores. She said that charter schools that do screen for test scores are somehow grandfathered in.
    Is anyone familiar with this law? Why does it apply to charter but not traditional public schools? Please educate me.

S
    S
    My kids are at a public charter school, and the school is not allowed to discriminate - the enrollment forms are basically identical to the enrollment forms at the neighborhood public school. Entry is determined by lottery. And yet, I have heard of gifted charter schools elsewhere, not in our school district (I have never really looked into it).

My guess is that the gifted charter schools that were grandfathered in are more like "magnet" schools which, I believe, are allowed to discriminate based on test scores, or at least they did historically. I recall hearing about "magnet" schools decades ago, while charter schools are a newer phenomenon. The difference may be that the magnet schools are run by the school district, while the charter schools are not. Come to think of it, our district has a full time gifted program that requires test scores, among other things, and operates like "magnet" schools in that there are only a handful of locations at which they operate (out of the 30-ish elementary schools).

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent