Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 378 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    Mom2MrQ Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hi All,

I have searched the archives and have not been able to find any in-depth posts about gifted children and sports. I'm hoping that someone can educate me. This is long and rambling, so I beg your pardon. smile

My ds is six and though he did almost everything way ahead of schedule, he seems to be behind on physical skills. I don't mind that he's behind, per se, but am rather confused about it all. My husband and I were very, very athletic young people, playing and excelling at any sport we played. Our son shows an interest in physical activities, but he simply cannot 'get' how to do things. He's very (VERY) slow to be able to get his body to do what it needs to do, and he really doesn't seem to care whether he can do it or not. We don't have TV or video games, so it's not that he's parked inside all the time. He's very much an outdoorsy type.

We spent two days per week, for four months, at a university swim club trying to teach him how to swim. We finally gave up because he simply didn't progress...at all. A few months later we tried lessons at the YMCA because our ds loved swimming and we really wanted him to learn to swim. We pretty much got the same result.

The YMCA was also the first time we were able to see him in a gym setting playing games with other children. Honestly, at first I wanted to run away and hide. He was SO different and out of sync. It was very obvious that he was just not where the other children were when it came to coordination or understanding how to do these things. He almost seemed at times to be interacting like a child with a mental handicap might act. By that I mean that he was very happy to be there, but in his own little world, not really caring whether or not he was a part of the group. He tried to engage with these kids, but for the most part was ignored (and this has been the case since he was two).

He is also very slow to understand instructions for these games and activities. Other children just seem to know very quickly what's going on, but he isn't like that. It takes him several exposures to even begin to integrate the rules and how-to. He is PG and is NOT like this when it comes to anything else in his life.

We're now encountering the same sort of issues with soccer that we had with swimming. He desperately wanted to play soccer, so we signed up this fall. Now that he's there, he is more interested in talking to the coaches and other adults on the sidelines as he passes them while trotting down the field. He has no desire to compete with others for the ball. He insists that he loves playing the game, but to us it seems that he's more interested in the social aspect of it. And by 'social' I don't mean peers; they don't really talk to him... and he seems okay with that too! He just likes "being there" and talking with the adults who will talk with him.

The available outside activities are very limited due to our rural location. We had to drive over an hour just to do the swimming and YMCA. Locally, we only have sports available. So, joining a chess club, book club, Lego team, etc. is simply not an option, unless we try to find others with those interests --which hasn't been successful thus far.

I guess what I would like to know is if it is common for gifted children on the higher end of the scale to be uncoordinated and unable to focus when it comes to sports. My son just seems SO out of sync with his peers, though again, he doesn't seem to care. He isn't aggressive or driven at all in this area. Do we let him play until he requests to stop (or they no longer allow him to be on the team! wink )? Do we try to push him and give him extra help to learn these skills? Do we let it go before bullying becomes a bigger issue (we've had a little) and direct him to music and other more solitary activities? He has no siblings, no regular playmates, and is home educated; yet, *he* seems to be as happy as can be and never asks for friends or comments on his situation at all. *I suppose I'm concerned about how this might impact him in the future, and if this is common in these children.* I was much like this myself, though not as gifted, and I did have two younger siblings. I would simply like input from those who have been in a similar place. What worked and what didn't? What were the outcomes when they were older?

Thanks for reading,
    Mom2MrQ

K
    K
    I don't have any answers for you, but I'm in the same boat. My son isn't PG (at least that I know of), but he's the same way with sports.

He has amazing fine motor skills, can build anything in the world with K'Nex, Legos, etc. But the kid can't grasp gross motor skills for anything. He's ok in swim class, but pretty much messes around the entire class instead of paying attention. As for throwing or catching a ball, nope. We have he and his sister signed up for baseball and golf right now. Every other kid "gets" it, but it doesn't seem like he does...

I'm looking forward to hearing everyone's replies as well. Thank you for posting this!

MAE Offline
    I have a son who is very coordinated and athletic. As a new mom I kind of thought it was in part because of his giftedness and that he is just ahead in everything. But I have heard of children running the gamut, and now I think the two areas are just not correlated very well, if at all.

I
    I
    D is not the most coordinated kid, but she is not the least coordinated. She is very awkward at running and throwing, but she always liked tennis, so we played quite a bit of that with her when she was younger. Soccer and dance at age 6 were complete failures, not too different from your story above (except that she was shy and wouldn't even talk to the adults). She did go out for the tennis team in middle school, but quit after one season (although I think she could have done okay, not great, if she had stuck with it). However, she is now reasonably good in gym (9th grade) in racquet sports, and also likes volleyball. She has learned to avoid the sports she is not good at (no way could you get her to go out for softball, but she is on the volleyball team). She actually managed to get an A- in gym this year, which is amazing to all of us. Good thing part of the grade is for tests on sports rules - not that she EVER watches sports, but she can memorize as needed smile

Sounds like options are limited in your area, but are martial arts available? That is an individual sport where he could progress at his own pace. Also, can you put up a basketball hoop at home? Even if he never plays on a team, shooting games like HORSE are fun.

Our goal has always been just to make sure our Ds live an active life and get enough exercise to be healthy. We bike and hike as a family.

Swimming is an important life skill (I sometimes tell my kids that there are only 2 things they HAVE to learn before they leave the house for college, and those are how to swim and how to drive a car!). If you S is frustrated, you might shelve it for a year or two, then try again. If he is enjoying it even if he has to repeat class levels, then maybe you should continue. And maybe it is really sinking in and he just can't execute yet... I took golf lessons at age 11 and was really awful; put the clubs down, picked them up again at age 21 and found I had a perfect swing. I credit those early lessons, even if I couldn't make my body do what I wanted to at the time.

Just a thought, have you had your son evaluated for Asperger's?

Last edited by intparent; 04/14/10 09:14 AM.
    J
    J
    re: the swimming
    Try daily lessons for two weeks instead of the 2x/week deal. I have found that my kids make almost no progress with weekly or bi-weekly lessons.

My kids have average coordination. I was like your son. In elementary school I was ALWAYS picked last and the team that got stuck with me would groan. I also have trouble remembering which light switch works what light, operating machines, parking in a tight spot, still can't throw a ball....BUT I am an above-average athlete now (IOW, I'm a better athlete than the average middle-aged mom). I am still slow when it comes to acquiring physical skills, but the funny thing is that I CAN acquire them, it just takes me longer. By pursuing a sport that emphasizes endurance I was able to be a good athlete by HS (recruited by colleges) and compete through college. I am still slow but I have a lot of stamina. Physical activity brings me a tremendous amount of pleasure and I am glad that I was able to (mostly) overcome my innate lack of coordination. If the swimming is palatable to you, I would recommend pursuing that. But I think any sport whre they can learn at their own pace (i.e. not a team sport with a ball) would be a decent choice. Tennis, martial arts, running, rowing...

D
    D
    This summer will be our son's third tour of duty in the beginning swim classes, while his younger sibling has been swimming like a fish since day one.

It's been a great object lesson for him as he has really come to understand that people have different skill sets.

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    My dh and I were both somewhat ahead coordination-wise as kids; he had more opportunities for team sports than I did and he did excel, but this was more in his teen years. I remember little things like being moved over to the boys basketball games in elementary school and getting the best high jump numbers one year (I was probably one of the few actually trying, but that's another issue).
    Ds9 is sort of back and forth.
    Some physical things he has been right on with, but we've had to find those things. Soccer was definitely 'meh' at age 3 and again when he was 5, and swimming, well he's 9 and he still doesn't like his face in the water much, or know how to breath and swim at the same time...but he loves the water.
    I am a lousy swimmer, but did take lessons as an adult so can do the basics. My dad never swam; my mom was a fish. My dd3 is a fish.
    We are signing up for daily lessons for ds most of the summer this year, as we saw little progress with lessons spread out too much, as Jane mentioned. Swimming is more than just a sport, I think as a life skill (life preserving ability) it is too important to miss out on completely, but we are trying to give him his own time to move into it.

Biking is another area that just may be too fraught with obvious risk for ds to enjoy/learn well yet, so the bike is waiting for him.
    He is doing well with dance however, and has always enjoyed martial arts and running, and kept up just fine. In fact, sparring is an area where he really seemed to be ahead of the pack and is beginning to move in that direction in dance as well.

6 years is young for understanding whether a child will or won't be athletic/interested in sports, but if you are worried that he is very behind in coordination, I suppose I would speak with a pediatrician, but also I would recommend thinking outside the box when it comes to things to try: hiking, rock climbing, tap, martial arts, etc. (pretty much what Jane, others said!) Good luck to your ds smile

I
    I
    Oh, I forgot until now how we motivated D to learn to swim. She REALLY wanted to take dance lessons (ill-fated, as I mentioned above, but we didn't know that then). I told her that once she learned to swim, she could then switch over to dance if she wanted to, but we didn't have budget or time for two different sports at the same time. And that learning to swim was very important for her safety. The carrot of dance classes definitely motivated her, and she passed the next couple of swim levels the first session she tried them

M
    M
    We've had DS5 in group swimming lessons since January and have seen so little progress that I finally decided to fork over the extra money to get him private lessons. In our case, the biggest problem is that DS is a very cautious kid who tends to overthink things. When the instructor tells him to jump in the pool, he immediately starts worrying about sinking, getting water up his nose, etc. To combat this, the private instructor is using lots of tricks to distract him/keep his mind off of swimming. She's even resorted to giving him math problems (her idea) to work in his head while he's doing laps across the pool with a noodle!

As far as soccer goes, DS wants to sign up every chance he gets, for the social aspects of it, but he's got absolutely no interest in actually playing the game or scoring goals. On the field, he hangs back from the rest of the team and mainly just pretends to be going after the ball. He's clearly mortified any time it comes near him. I've wondered how much of that is due to perfectionism and fear of failure, which we've had to combat on other fronts.

He has also loved gymnastics classes (and still begs to go) for the social aspects but is generally unwilling to go out of his very narrow physical comfort zone. There again, I could see he was overthinking things that other kids seemed to do without any thought at all.

I'm still hoping that maybe with enough exposure and practice, he will become more confident physically, but he's definitely no natural athlete so far.

Sports may be about the only area a PG kid will connect with others their age. And with most ND people when they grow up. Scouting is another good area for this. The individual sports have less interaction than team sports.

Football requires less coordination than soccer. Baseball just bores the snot out of me but requires less coordination than soccer or basketball.

Originally Posted by MsFriz
    In our case, the biggest problem is that DS is a very cautious kid who tends to overthink things. .. She's even resorted to giving him math problems (her idea) to work in his head while he's doing laps across the pool with a noodle!

This is so Mr W.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years