Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    B
    Berteau Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Our DD's teacher has recommend a grade skip for her for next school year. The school is following the Iowa Acceleration scale. We have a meeting coming up soon with the school to make our decision and we are still unsure. We just learned about the DYS program, so although our DD's scores do meet their criteria, there is no way we can get the application completed in time to get assistance for this decision. Does anyone know of any other resources that we can get immediately to help us? For those that have done a grade skip do you have any suggestions for things we should ask/discuss/consider for the meeting? Thanks.

B
    B
    The Iowa Acceleration scale is an excellent tool for helping to make that decision. The questionaire takes ALL things into consideration besides just test scores and grades. it will look at social, emotional, outside of school involvement, siblings, etc. and really gives you a good idea as to what the best option is. While no book can predict the actual outcome, the is a tremendous amount of research regarding the positive benefits to it. Another thing the Iowa acceleration scale weighs heavily is if the child is accepting of the idea. if there is any way you can ask your child ahead of time, you really need to know her thoughts on it. Some kids are absolutley against it. the IAS pretty much says if the kids doesn't want it, consider other options.

B
    Berteau Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Thanks, you are correct we have not seen the actual manual ourselves. We will ask about it in the meeting. How do the results read? Does it actually "recommend" skipping for certain kids or does it just "approve" skipping if that is what the family wants? Does anyone know any good reasons not to go along with a skip if the scale says a skip would be ok, or would that be pretty persuasive to you?

Our DD is excited about a skip for the academic subjects, but has mixed feelings about leaving her friends. She does know a few kids in the higher grade and she tends to make friends easily. Given that, would it be better to see if she could stay with her class for gym/lunch/recess etc. or is it usually better to make a clean break and just fully integrate her into the new grade?

Thanks for any help.

B
    B
    It has you score each sunsection separately and then gives you a composite score. For example if the total points is 60-80 the child is seen to be an Excellent candidtate for a grade accel. and it is recommended. the next score would be a good candidate, accel. is still recommended, then on down the list. the lowest rating would be accel. not recommended, however consider other options such as enrichment or whatever.

If your child is excited about it, perhaps explaining things in a way she can relate to may be all she needs to help her understand (especially if she makes friends easily). I would say if she is OK with it, go for the skip fully. Is there ANYONE she would know in the other grades? Could she shadow a current child in the grade above so that she would have one person she knew when the skip takes place?

No book is able to tell you if you are making the right decision. You know your child best. Does your child handle change well? Sounds like if she is cool with the idea, she seems to have that much going for her. I would highly recommend googling everything you can about eh positive research regarding accel. or get yourself a copy of the book ahead of time. perhaps ask the school if you can review the book as it will give you a lot of insight. I think I would feel lost if I wasn't the one who had all of the information and research. There is a lot of information out there that can help you in your decision.

B
    B
    I ordered a copy of the IAS-3 through @mazon and got it in like 2 days. I couldn't find one at any of the area libraries.

Originally Posted by Berteau
    Does anyone know any good reasons not to go along with a skip if the scale says a skip would be ok, or would that be pretty persuasive to you?

Hi Berteau - Welcome!
    Great suggestions you've gotten...I would add that with your daughter's scores (if they are even near Davidson YSP levels a single skips is expected to be needed), and attitude (which is very wonderful BTW, I mean, wouldn't it be sad if she wasn't a little sad about missing her friends?) and the IASM I would find that pretty persuasive.

A few things to consider:
    1) The teacher must have wanted a skip for some reason. What were the teacher's reasons?
    2) Most females are wonderful at blending in, and if they have educational needs that aren't being met, many are great at hiding it.
    3) If you feel she has a shot at competitive sports being a meaningful part of her life, a skip might work against that.
    4) If you feel that academic competitions might be a meaningful part of her life, a skip might work against that.
    5) If you feel that a merrit-based scholarship might be her only way to go to college, a skip might make her look less outstanding than her peers - that's part of the appeal of the skip! OTOH, a skip might be nescessary to help her 'learn how to learn' and keep her interested in academics and make her a better applicant for college.
    6) If she is having fun where she is at school, and super involved in self-directed learning outside of school, this may cut into her learning time with work that requires more time but not more intellectual challenge.
    7) If the alternative is a school that would allow her to work at her true readiness level amoung same aged kids - take the alternative. Gradeskip is usually 2nd best to that.

That's the whole nutshell! My son skipped 6th grade, and it was very clearly 'nescessary' but not without some drawbacks. I would strongly urge you to make a 'full' skip, including the social time, so that she gets a chance to bond with her new grade. I would also caution you to 'get ready' for more subject accelerations over the next few year, if they appear to be needed - a single skip is a great way to get the ball rolling for getting a school to fit a child, but for a kid with scores in the DYS level, it is rarely truly 'enough.'

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    C
    C
    Our oldest skipped 5th grade also after having an IAS scale completed that said she was an excellent candidate. She is not a DYS eligible kid and I can still say that it was necessary and she is doing very well socially and academically post-skip.

The few cases where I have seen skips not work as well have been when parents or others have intentionally manipulated the scores on the IAS or where it was completed without an IQ score and that area was just left out of the total calculation. In terms of intentional manipulation, I am referring to signing your kid up for a bunch of activities at the last minute so he gets the points for being involved in a lot of extracurriculars or something like that.

None of these apply to your situation, so I would assume that, if she is coming out as a good or excellent candidate, it probably would be a good decision for her. Like Grinity said, though, expect that it won't be enough in terms of educational challenge eventually.

B
    Berteau Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Thank you all, this has been really encouraging to read and you've given us a lot to think about. The school said it will be working up two plans for us to consider, with a skip and without, so we will see what they can do for her.

Another question for those who have skipped: How did you handle the situation socially? Did you mention the skip to others before hand or just wait for class lists to come out for the year and try to fly under the radar? Did your child lose friends?

Thanks again.

We were at a new school, but I was amazed how fast the news traveled even at the old school. It's good to have a story rehearsed for all family memebers - something along the lines of 'that's were the Principle wanted her'

My son didn't lose friends at the time, but some of his old friendships lasted over the years since the skip and some didnt' -just like if he hadn't skipped, yes?

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    I recommend reading articles at Hoagies about acceleration, articles from NAGC (National Association of Gifted Children) and the Acceleration Institute's info http://www.accelerationinstitute.org/

Both of mine skipped a grade this year. It has been helpful, but not a "cure all". The youngest skipped K and is doing well socially. It was harder on my oldest, who skipped 4th, but she had bad luck with the kids in the class, who just happen to be not nice kids.

Overall, I recommend it if it fits your family and your child's needs. Do consider the consequences with talent searches, especially if a college scholarship will be necessary.

Good luck!

B
    B
    I would like to know how you handle the after questions as well. I am in the midst of our skip for next yr. so we haven't had to face that yet. I was planning on saying it was what she needed and she tested out rather than was skipped or accelerated (got from hoagies as some think that sounds like you cheated at something or whatever. Tested out leaves the questions answered). I know there will be TONS of questions because that's how it is at that school. I am not worried socially at all. Was planning on not saying anything til the lists come out myself! HAHA! Not sure..... guess I will decide as it unfolds?! Any advice from those who reached that path already.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM