Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 288 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    K
    K
    Good luck today! Even if the teacher responds negatively, your daughter will know that you are on her side.

Originally Posted by master of none
    In the past, she has always had positive comments or no comment at all. This one pretty much said "cut it out".

((Alarm bells))
    ((Spock eyebrow raised 2 inches)) Interesting Captain.
    First ask the teacher questions about how dd is doing. I expect to hear she is well behaved, model student, academically does well,

There is always the possiblity that the teacher will say groundless,mean things about your daughter in an attempt to throw you of track. Try to rehearse something polite to say or nonverbally say if that old trick is tried.

But yes, what Inky said!
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    S
    S
    Cyberhugs to you and a strong dose of bravery for the meeting- I was one of those girls who was told to just suck it up and go with the flow- you are being a super advocate for your DD- hope it goes well...

Originally Posted by Grinity
    There is always the possiblity that the teacher will say groundless,mean things about your daughter in an attempt to throw you of track. Try to rehearse something polite to say or nonverbally say if that old trick is tried.

Grinity

Yes, definitely be prepared for that. That happened to me as a student and it was awful.

I
    I
    Even though the teacher didn't understand, did DD feel proud/positive about speaking up and attempting to improve things? If so, that will serve her well in the future as she encounters other situations where a change is needed but others have a hard time seeing it. The best part is she didn't take it all lying down and she'll make one heck of an advocate for your grandkids!

M
    M
    I'm sorry it didn't go better, master of none--I've been thinking of you all day, wondering how it went. Give that little girl a big hug from all of us here.

peace
    minnie

B
    B
    At this point in time, I think a meeting with the principal is in order. You have tried approaching the teacher, but I think you need to back your daughter on this one. I am not saying to meet the prinicapl because of this teacher, but rather meet with the princ. because of your child needs. You are your child's advocate and you need to make sure she is getting her educational needs met. I can't imagine a teacher dinging a child's grade because they went too in depth?! CRAZY! The complexity of a gifted child's mind just works that way! PERIOD! I think a meeting to approach teh admin. as to "where do we go next. what can you do for my child" is more than warranted at this point. Do not let one upsetting meeting get you down..... no one eve said the world of advocating was in an easy one but the rewards that come from successful advocation are so worth it for your child's educational as well as emotional needs.

I agree with bh14. I think it's time to meet with the principal.

I'm not sure what the ettiquette is about whether you need to let the teacher know that you are going to do this or not, but it would probably be a good thing to first mention to the teacher that 1) you appreciate her allowing your DD to work more in-depth, especially on open-ended projects (thank her for this modest deviation, eventhough it is clearly not enough), and 2) you are going to set up a meeting with the principal so that you can plan an educational program that will fit your DDs needs next year. By placing it in terms of "next year" you can avoid the teacher feeling defensive about the job she has done (even though she clearly should be doing something different) and, in the process of meeting for "next year" maybe something can be done during these last two months of school.

When you meet with the principal, see if your DD can come, too, and advocate for her own needs just as she tried to do with her teacher. Complement the teacher she has now for any small thing she has done to adjust the curriculum for your daughter, and emphasize that, while you know it is difficult for the curriculum to be adjusted within a class with wide-ranging abilities, you feel it must be done because of X, Y, and Z. Also, be prepared with several different versions of accommodations that you think would help. Subject acceleration and grade acceleration can be good options for schools with budget and teacher constraints, so you will probably want to familiarize yourself with the IAS and research regarding acceleration so you will know if you want this an an option.

You sound like you have a smart, brave girl!

She thought she could, so she did.
    B
    B
    I don't know that you need to let the current teacher know (maybe if you say "for next year" like the pp mentioned.

Having some ideas as to what YOU think the school can do for your child (try to have some reasonable ideas to propose) and then see how they respond or counter those.

Do as much research ahead of time and be prepared and knowledgable and you can move mountains smile

Keep us posted and Good luck!

I
    I
    I'm also in the camp that thinks you should ask to meet with the principal about DD's teacher for next year. If DD is okay with trying to advocate for herself again, I'd have her there too.

I'd make the case that she needs a teacher who can:
    1) help her improve on quick, short assignments
    2) give her opportunities to shine with her long, detailed assignments and
    3) will appreciate and mentor someone who wants to go in depth.

If DD can get a good teacher fit next year, the stuff from this year will probably be a bump in the road. If she has another teacher who just doesn't get it, it could create long term problems at a critical time in a gifted girl's development. It may not be obvious to you why you were chosen to be her parent but it sounds like you're fighting the good fight for her. Keep on! smile

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM