Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 342 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    blob #73417 04/07/10 08:35 AM
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    blob .. you're right about the long commute. I'd search for someone who has worked with gifted kids, make contacts to find someone if the psych has never worked with GT kids.

Good luck!

A
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by Cricket2
    If your ds did well on the block design part of the PRI, which is also timed, and seems to be more impacted by perfectionism than true slower speed, it may be something that he will improve with more appropriately challenging work.

Cricket I've been pondering what you wrote. He did 95% on the BD which was his lowest score other than the PSI. So are you stating that with the BD score it is perfectionism or it is showing processing speed.

Sorry for my questions, but as I've already said this is all new to me, and it is like learning a new language - but even harder! Thanks in advance - Debbie

C
    C
    Sorry not to have responded earlier; I just saw your latest post. Although a 95th percentile score on BD was lower than the other parts of the PRI index, that is still a very good score and I wouldn't view that as showing low speed. My dd with the slower speed got a 25th percentile score on BD and 99th & 99.9th on the two other tests in PRI. That's a big difference.

I do, honestly, think that she could have scored more in the 50th-75th range on BD had the tester not kept reminding her to work fast. She apparently totally gave up, handed the blocks back, and said that she was done with that test and couldn't do it. I still do think that she is slower, though, but anxiety exacerbated the speed thing for her making it below avg in that one testing instance rather than avg, which is probably more accurate for her.

I may not have been clear in my earlier post. What I was getting at was that, if he did well on BD (which he did), since it is a timed test I'd think that he isn't truly a slow processor, but rather has other issues that might make him slower in certain circumstances. Perfectionism could be one of those issues.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM