Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 423 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    H
    H
    From experience with my 2e son...his first IQ test had full scale IQ as 91 and then 3 years later (after ABA, etc. therapies) was 148. So I say, yes 2e-ness does affect IQ! But the psychologist wrote on the first test the standard statement saying something like "this is a correct and true demonstration of IQ and will expect to vary by 3 points," or whatever they put at the end of the test. But I haven't heard of anyone else who has had such a dramatic difference. Who knows?!
    ---
    Hi Nan,
    We have that in my family. My older brother (whom we now recognize as slightly on the autism spectrum) was tested several times during childhood (maybe 4 times over a dozen years) and his score went from totally average to 140 plus.

My oldest son was tested at age 5 and given a diagnosis of mild MR (on top of his earlier autism diagnosis), at UC SF Langley Porter and he is now preparing for college (interested in history and political science). My son beats me at chess too, regularly.

OTOH my younger brother and I both scored very highly on IQ tests even as young kids, but we did not have the 2e issues my older brother and oldest son have. I don't think there is any magic to these tests which allows them to measure "potential" or "ability" perfectly. The scores clearly have some value but IMO they are more of a snapshot of current functioning and they are not as reliable as we would like. (Maybe I should say, for many/most people they may predict quite a lot but certainly for kids anywhere on the autism spectrum, in my personal experience these tests are not too reliable).

P
    P
    I would urge caution about generalizing as there are all sorts of disabilities that affect children in a variety of ways. There certainly are many 2E kids who scores as highly or profoundly gifted so it isn't easy to say all kids with disabilities will have trouble scoring well on IQ tests.

To the original poster, it certainly could have been related to disabilities but it could have been many other things - you may have been tired, didn't want to be there, a not great tester, etc. It is hard to generalize a lot from one set of data.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by spaghetti - 05/14/24 08:14 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM