Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #72347 03/24/10 08:30 AM
    K
    kd976 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Hi everyone!

I know I'm not super active on the board, but I'm still trying to feel my way around. I hope I'm posting this in the right place...

My DS5 is in Kinder now in private school because he doesn't meet the age requirement for Kinder in public school (misses it by 3 months). We aren't happy with their current private school and have applied to another private school, but won't hear until the beginning of April if (1) they're accepted, and (2) if they're going to make him repeat Kinder b/c of the age requirement. He is gifted and is way advanced of his peers already.

So I went ahead and put their names in the "lottery" for a Charter School in town. They both got a spot in the school. Of course, being overbearing Mom, I'm still hesitant (I don't know why, no real reason).

What do you guys think of what they say on the website? Some part of me says it'll be a good opportunity for him (and my DD7), but part of me is hoping it's not a "special ed" school.
    Alice King Community School

kd976 #72354 03/24/10 08:59 AM
    K
    K
    Have you visited the school? See if you can and get a sense of their day. Look at work examples and bring some things that represent what your son can do and see what they say about it.

My son did a charter that seemed to have a similar philosophy, kidnergarten was not a good fit at all. I found that applied to the other grades but kindergarten was very basic and that the individualization philosophy wasn't applied as well as I hoped, although I had it better than some others I know. Talk to a first grade teacher, go over the school day. We are reenrolling at the same school, which I was certain we would not do, after a very successful meeting with the first grade teacher. In retrospect I think our problem was a bad teacher fit, not a school fit.

J
    J
    I think it's special ed. I looked at the faculty listing and there are a lot of special education degrees, some other teaching degrees, no evidence of subject matter mastery.

It sounds like a great school, but maybe not what you had in mind.

I agree you should visit.

JaneSmith #72358 03/24/10 09:21 AM
    K
    kd976 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    I'm going to visit tomorrow afternoon. We just found out they got their lottery spot the Friday before Spring Break. So this week is the first week back. I'm hoping it's not geared to Special Ed in the fact that it's for lower learners. I'm hoping that since gifted is also considered Special Ed, it's contained in the program too...

kd976 #72361 03/24/10 10:24 AM
    N
    N
    A school designed for special needs kids might not be a bad fit for gifties. They're going to have a lot more flexibility and more individual attention. The kids will have more diverse needs. No one is going to be the odd man out, since everyone will be different. Of course, it all depends on the specifics of the school.

We actually tried to get DD into a (mostly) special needs daycare once upon a time, but I guess a lot of other people had the same idea. smile

Dottie #72379 03/24/10 12:53 PM
    K
    kd976 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Dottie, thanks for the information. A friend of a friend works there, so I'll see what information I can get from her as well.

The one thing I really like (for my son, in particular), is that they aren't "age restricted" like most schools. So *maybe* it could be better for him.

It'll be very interesting though, for the tour tomorrow. I'm excited.

kd976 #72496 03/25/10 02:13 PM
    E
    E
    how did the tour go?

EastnWest #72501 03/25/10 03:37 PM
    K
    kd976 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    It went well. It doesn't seem like it's super "special ed" and the lady said that the teachers just so happen to have those certifications. I do like the multi-age classes, especially since DS is already a year ahead of his peers. So going to a K/1 class next year will be good - 1st grade curriculum with kids his own age (Kinder). She also mentioned that the teachers basically have each child on their own "pace", so they don't have a chance to get bored or stagnant.

I wasn't "wow-ed", but I haven't been "wow-ed" by a school since we went to tour their daycare/pre-school.

The kids both liked it, said they're excited to go to school there. I'll have to see what my husband thought about the tour.

kd976 #72942 03/31/10 07:59 AM
    C
    C
    I like the idea of 4 day weeks. You could do a lot of family road trips,enrichment activities on that kind of schedule.

Warning: sleep deprived
    Chrys #72944 03/31/10 08:29 AM
    K
    K
    I'd like four day weeks too but only if the days weren't super long.

I like combined classes, espdcially for bright kids. DS is moving into one next year. Kindergarten has been horrible, I so wish he had been combined with first grade.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM