Originally Posted by theshapeshifter
Also, I'd like to second the previous poster who said that if she's smart enough to throw tantrums this young, she's smart enough to move on to something else as soon as she's capable. This was my experience as well - despite all those dire predictions about the 'terrible' twos, my son has been increasingly pleasant, reasonable and generally easier in direct correlation to his increasing communication skills. He's 2.75 now and I've found the "twos" to be an absolute delight... I tend to tell people he had the "terrible zeroes" instead. wink

Yes, we also had terrible one's. DD started at 9mo and that summer she was so difficult, even trying bite me. Still way too young for time outs. As she tried to hurt us I always removed her from the situation. Sometimes it was keeping her in my lap but arms length out instead of holding her close so she could not bite. For us ignoring the behavior (but making sure she won't hurt herself) worked the best. When she threw a tantrum we would stay close doing some boring adult thing and not pay attention. When she stopped we would start playing something nice with her. She usually got upset as she wanted to do something like build legos but the pieces got stuck, or stickers had a tiny corner which turned inside.