Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 246 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    P
    phroggy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    DS12 is in a self-contained GT program.
    He has a low working memory, auditory processing difficulties, and probable dysgraphia. He has an IEP in place (finally!), but I'm concerned that he doesn't qualify for ST or OT services through the school system.

Don't Speech Language Pathologists address the executive function difficulties associated with auditory processing and memory problems? Don't occupational therapists address dysgraphia? How is it that a 6th grader who writes like a 1st or 2nd grader doesn't qualify for OT services? How is it that a child who can't even remember his home address or phone number without major difficulty at age 12 doesn't need ST services to address these issues?

At this point, they're giving him classroom accommodations and SPED services to address his writing, math calculation, and social-emotional issues. That's great, but shouldn't he get ST/OT services as well?

I've requested (and been granted) independent educational evaluations, but while we await those, I'm wondering what other people have experienced in the way of ST/OT services for these types of issues.

Age-Gap parenting a 2e 12-year-old and an 8-month-old
    C
    C
    I almost posted something similar! Are you in a public school? Do you have insurance coverage for private facility OT? For us it seems like its going to be more financially workable to OT via a 3rd party facility that accepts our insurance. My daughter could do it at school, but since its a private school there is an extra fee for it. I'm interested what others have experienced. I really hope we get off the wait list for OT this summer!

Warning: sleep deprived
    P
    phroggy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    Yes, we're in public school. We have private insurance, but we'd like to avoid all the time and expense involved with private OT/ST services. We can barely afford copays and deductibles as it is.

P
    phroggy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    His initial IEP (5th grade) stated that he needed ST services and he was getting those last year at school. This year, they re-evaluated him (evaluated by a speech language pathologist at school) and determined he didn't need speech and language services. When I mentioned my concern about the EF problems, she said they only address speech and language at school and the other issues aren't part of ST services. That's when I requested an IEE, because that just doesn't sound right to me at all.

As for the OT, DS wasn't evaluated before this year and I had to request that evaluation because I suspect dysgraphia. Well I guess he was evaluated last week and I never heard from anyone about it until updated IEP came yesterday and mentioned that they (I'm assuming the OT who evaluated him) feel he doesn't need OT services but can work on his handwriting at home. (!!!)

I had previously been told that OT isn't usually serviced for handwriting at the middle school level (to which I say "why not if the kid needs it?!"). I get the strong impression that they're too busy and overworked and only pick up kids at the elementary level because of this.

I'll look into it further, but I'm kind of at a sticking place right now. It's taken forever just to get the IEP in place this year. The red tape with this stuff is amazing! I've had to stay on them every step of the way. The teachers are great, and everyone is "great," but no one wants to take the reins, so it's like pulling teeth to keep this locomotive moving!

My son is only in first grade and gets OT/ST, but the beginning of the year they talked about "easing him out of those." We got his outside therapists to write about how he needed them in school at the same level. I'm sure every year is going to be a fight to allow him to keep his much needed speech and OT. We are lucky in that we are able to have outside therapies also, because what our school provides is not enough...even though they want to decrease the amount they give him! Like you, I don't understand what the school therapists base their recommendations on: your son has poor handwriting, so why can't he get OT??? Ridiculous!! My son's school is the same way...we have to fight for every little 45 minute time slot! I don't have any advice on how to deal with the school, except that if you CAN, get private OT or speech. The school says they don't base services on outside therapists recommendations, but I think they do a little. Nan

P
    phroggy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    I understand that caseloads are high and they're obviously going to stick to the kids that they can impact most when given a choice, but I just don't understand why services can't be provided to kids who truly need them, regardless of age or grade level.
    I'm trying to get my hands on a copy of the OT eval, but I suspect you guys are right about the brick wall I'm about to run into with trying to get services.
    It's just so frustrating because I feel like we're doing as much as we can to support his education. I volunteer, we take him to tutoring twice a week, and we're also taking him to music therapy and looking into a psychologist who specializes in memory/cognitive therapy. Now to add private OT & ST? Argh! Frustration level is elevating.
    Apparently FAPEs are only available to the kids that are the easiest to deal with.

C
    C
    Backing up to the handwriting issues, would it be easier to have his IEP revised to allow the use of a laptop in class? Then maybe take a typing class over the summer?

I know that doesn't address that your child may need OT, but if the OT staff are really swamped with cases maybe there's another way to help your ds.

I hear you about being overbooked. That's actually why we are planning to do OT during the summer...

Warning: sleep deprived
    M
    M
    Our school will not cover handwriting under OT and our insurance, very good Blue Cross Blue Shield, will not pay for handwriting with an OT. We paid out of pocket with my older twin. Even with her cerebral palsy diagnosis it isn't covered by insurance. They will address other OT issues and both twins did receive services for other things but not handwriting. My oldest DD also has dysgrphia and the school will write accomodations into her IEP, which we have in place. I honestly doubt you will get anywhere with the handwriting.

My DD does get some services for executive functions skills but that is with a social worker.

Services do change greatly once you move to the middle school and high school environment.

Last edited by melmichigan; 03/15/10 12:28 PM.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    P
    phroggy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    We're at the middle school level (which is, I think, part of the problem with getting services in place now).

We focused on learning keyboarding skills over the summer (using software on our own), but he still isn't good enough at typing to accurately use an AlphaSmart or laptop at school. At this point, it would be more of a distraction than a help. Maybe after another summer of practice....

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM