Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 110 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    T
    T
    I also have a preschooler and a toddler both highly extroverted and intense so yes, I can get run ragged and am still trying to figure out ways to keep them both happy since I am not able to have art supplies, small toys, puzzles, etc. where the younger sib can reach them. Both girls require and demand tons of adult interaction from me all day long and so days in the house can get long so we go to the library, storytimes, playplaces etc. My DD3.9 goes to preschool twice a week mostly just for a change of pace and to learn some social skills. I am not that concerned with teaching her directly at this age. We read a ton and talk a ton and if she has an interest, we pursue it. It is not easy with their activity levels and intensity levels, but I am assuming it will get better as they get older and can play on their own more etc.

OP Offline
    Thanks, there is lots of great ideas there!

It's quite reassuring to hear suggestions for many of the things that we are already doing, it makes me feel like I'm not just making it up. Playdough, books, duplo and are big hits here. We haven't been into puzzles or CDs much but it might be worth trying those again. I'm not game to try lego right now with my toddler, although my preschooler would probably love them.

We can't be late for meals or bedtime either, mnmom23.

We do go out often, I love going somewhere without too much of an agenda. I am starting to find that more difficult as my toddler, who still needs day naps, is finding it hard to fall asleep out and about.

One thing that does concern me about having lots of things is that I worry that more things will lead to more mess and then to unsettled behavior (and then I think it's not enough and get more.)I do want home to feel peaceful.

Last edited by GeoMamma; 03/11/10 05:23 AM.
    Originally Posted by GeoMamma
    I'm not game to try lego right now with my toddler, although my preschooler would probably love them.
    What about Lego Duplos since they're bigger?

We can't be late for meals or bedtime either, mnmom23.

We do go out often, I love going somewhere without too much of an agenda. I am starting to find that more difficult as my toddler, who still needs day naps, is finding it hard to fall asleep out and about.

My kids really needed to nap at home as well. It's trickier if they are still taking morning naps. But there are things you can still do. Going places in the early morning, like before 10:00, means fewer people. We also tended to fit in short trips after the morning nap but before lunch and afternoon naps. Often we'd, say, go to the park, have a picnic, and then hurry home just in time for afternoon naps. It can be easier if they fall asleep in the car and will let you transfer them to their beds, but one of my kids wouldn't let me do that so I'd either let them nap in their carseat if they fell asleep on the way home or I'd do everything in my power to keep them awake until we made it home. For some reason, we always tended to go out and about before afternoon naps but then hung around the house doing things in the afternoon and early evenings. It was our routine and it saved my sanity!

She thought she could, so she did.
    O
    O
    One thing that does concern me about having lots of things is that I worry that more things will lead to more mess and then to unsettled behavior (and then I think it's not enough and get more.)I do want home to feel peaceful.

Here is how I keep our playroom reasonable. Have a system where you switch out the toys. Limit what is out to a reasonable amount to manage and enough variety. Have a box/basket for each playset so everything has its place. We don't mix playsets because then it gets too complicated. Teach kids to pick up before the go on to another activity. Before leaving the house try to pick up, before bed try to pick up. We limit the toys to the playroom that way there is less pickup. The kids only have a small basket of stuffed animals in their bedroom. We keep bedrooms for sleeping, and quiet time. Hope this is helpful.

OP Offline
    TwinkleToes - Yep, that sounds like my house!

I love the idea of rotating toys, onthegomom. We have a small house and only one living space. We store toys in the bedroom, but my extrovert won't play in there by himself anyway! How do you organize that. Do you do it weekly or fortnightly, an how do you store the toys not being used?

We also have been influenced by the Montessori idea of trying to have things where they can help themselves, although that did go out the window a bit with the toddler's walking! I think maybe a focus on that might really help. As long as I can stop the toddler from spreading everything from one end of the house to the other. Any ideas on that?

M
    M
    Ok, I have to raise my hand too! I have two little girls that are a HANDFUL! A preschooler (3.75) and a toddler (16 mo). I do get worn out because they both require a lot of interaction. I think my toddler is worse now!

Some things we do have (which have been mentioned throughout this thread): My DD1 has her own book basket (out of DD2's reach) and DD2 has her own book box. I rotate the books for each girl. I have coloring books and crayons out and art supplies accessible. I keep a puzzle sitting out for my DD2.

We do home school in a very relaxed, child-led way. I asked my DD1 what she wants to learn about and she said "math, science and arts". I do use curriculum because it's just easier and time saving for me than piecing stuff together. We are going through Sonlight Science K and DD is LOVING it! She is also working through Horizons K math (calling it "baby math") so I just ordered Miquon to try. She is a workbook lover! For "arts", she means craft projects.

Now that the weather is starting to break, we are able to get out for more walks and such. We live in the super country so going to things like the zoo or museum is a "day trip".

We read aloud A LOT! I think that is one thing that wears me out. My 16 month old can sit for at least a half an hour while I read to her.

They also help me pick up and do stuff around the house. I also admit that I use the TV at times. When I really need to get something done, I turn on Dora because my DD2 can sit and watch and listen and interact with Dora during the whole show!

Even though my DD1 doesn't nap, they both go in for mandatory "quiet time". Always at 1pm. We do run on a "schedule" meaning we eat at the same time, have quiet time at the same time, etc.

OP Offline
    Oooh! I like the idea of locking top containers - that's one of those "Why didn't I think of that" things! Thanks Cricket3.

We also use the playpen for the older child to work in. The extroverted part of them still feels involved in the family if they are there.

MamaJA, my two are almost precisely the same age and ITA, the toddler is harder now than as a baby. We have had to have routine for the same reason, although the toddler does still nap, it's often not at a convienent time. The TV is the lesser of two evils sometimes. What do you do with your toddler while you are doing workbooks with your preschooler? I can sometimes get my toddler to colour next to us or something, but I'm always looking for new ideas that might help. Do you do anything for your 16 m.o.? We are influenced by Montessori, so I'd like to do more with him, but my preschooler has a more 'out there' personality and it can be hard to get one-to-one time with the toddler too. I'd love to swap any ideas!

Last edited by GeoMamma; 03/17/10 12:29 AM. Reason: fixing typos
    G
    G
    just stumbled on this thread.
    Im suppose to create the same thread

I think the best way to deal with home schooling is by incorporating a hobby for the children. Children learn faster if they are interested in something. Why not incorporate games why learning Math or science.

Athough they are home schooling, it's important to teach them how to socialize. After the lessons, allow them to play with other children in the neighborhood, go to parks, zoos, and church.

O
    O
    I love the idea of rotating toys, onthegomom. We have a small house and only one living space. We store toys in the bedroom, but my extrovert won't play in there by himself anyway! How do you organize that. Do you do it weekly or fortnightly, an how do you store the toys not being used?

I have sacraficed my front entry closet for toy usage. I have plastic bins with lables. I have just 2 kids so I keep their stuff on their own side of the closet. It's difficult for the kids to get much out from this closet. When they want something out we try to put something away. I limit what I keep by the amount of space we have to store. When we get something new something needs to go. I rotate new toys into the playroom about every three months now. My kids are 7 & 9. When they were younger and playing with everthing more I did this monthly. When my kids stare at the same stuff too long it becomes boring. If there are things they are frequeltly playing with I would leave that out.

I tell the kids the toys are for the playroom unless there is a need for an exception. When they have a playmate they might need more space and I divide the kids up. This is a process and takes time. I'm still telling my kids to take toys out of the kitchen. I ty to say it sweetly so it's not a battle. I often help with a bigger pick up because my kids still get overwhelmed when it's alot. Our playroom does get messy sometimes but I feel like this should be expected they are kids. They should be more focused on playing not organizing

M
    M
    MamaJA, my two are almost precisely the same age and ITA, the toddler is harder now than as a baby. We have had to have routine for the same reason, although the toddler does still nap, it's often not at a convienent time. The TV is the lesser of two evils sometimes. What do you do with your toddler while you are doing workbooks with your preschooler? I can sometimes get my toddler to colour next to us or something, but I'm always looking for new ideas that might help. Do you do anything for your 16 m.o.? We are influenced by Montessori, so I'd like to do more with him, but my preschooler has a more 'out there' personality and it can be hard to get one-to-one time with the toddler too. I'd love to swap any ideas!

Oh dear! Sorry, I didn't see your response - if it's not in the "recent posts" to the right, I usually lose posts!

I'll type back later as we are heading out to church in a few minutes.... grin

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM