Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 243 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #70728 03/08/10 10:44 AM
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hi -
    Does anyone have any info around this school?

http://www.indiansprings.org/

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    M
    M
    Ahhh..... just saw this post. Now I understand why you are looking at Indian Springs.

Mary
    C
    C
    I don't know anything about the area and the school. The information I got is from web:

National Merit Recognitions:
    Class of 2010 Finalists: 8 (13.3% of class)

AP Scholars: 9
    AP Scholars with Honor: 2
    AP Scholars with Distinction: 5

=============================================

The number of national merit finalists per year a school produces is pretty good indication of the quality of education there. In the case of ISS, it has 8 finalists. It is very impressive given the fact that it has only 70 students a year. National merit finalists usually end up in very good schools.

ISS has 5 AP scholars with distinction(5 or more AP classes) for 2010 seniors. These kids will be very competitive in terms of course rigor.

This year, ISS also has two candidates for presidential award program. Usually mean having 800/800 on critical reading/math of SAT.

So it is a pretty impressive school, but very expensive too. Grinity, have you considered Vestavia Hills high school?

Where did the other replies go?

C
    C
    Grinity posted same question on two different forums.

Just in case you want to compare schools, here is the complete list of national merit semi-finalists of Alabama. You just count the number of semi-finalists of each school and you get the school ranking.

https://docs.alsde.edu/documents/55/NewsReleases2009/10ALSemifinalistsNatlMeritProgram.pdf

I know it is a bit simplistic. But I think that it is as valid as US News & world report's high school ranking.

Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks! I don't actually live in Alabama, I'm just looking for a great boarding school for DS where there are lots of gifted kids, and not such a grind of homework.

When I was in college, I knew plenty of kids who had been at private schools and found college 'really easy.'

I'm looking for an intellectually challenging school that slowly ramps up the product demands so that college looks 'a little hard, but not overwhelming.'

Does that make sense?
    Thanks for all the responses!
    Grinity

D
    D
    THE INSTRUCTORS HOLD ADVANCED DEGREES IN THE SUBJECTS THEY TEACH.

THAT WOULD BE A MAJOR SELLING POINT FOR US.

R
    R
    hi grinity,
    though my kids are too young and we don't have personal experience with it, i have been intrigued with IB international baccauleareate (my kid could spell it!) schools. I have a friend-of-a-friend whose child goes to Atlantic College in Wales. There is one in Pennsylvania called the George School http://www.georgeschool.org/Academics.aspx
    I like the international flair, very appealing in the "cookie cutter" world that education is around here. As far as academic rigor, they do have AP classes, and i read somewhere that an IB diploma is considered higher than an A-level in Europe. Happy hunting!
    irene

C
    C
    Hi Grinity,

Boarding school is more an east-coast thing. In SF Bay area, there are very few boarding schools (Athenian school in Danville is one of them). I don't know anyone who actually sends kids there.

How far away are you willing to send your son away? You are already considering out of state, why stop there? Boston area has quite a few top private/boarding schools. Phillips Academy, Phillips Exeter Academy are among the well-known ones. These schools send more than their fair share of students to top colleges.

Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by chenchuan
    How far away are you willing to send your son away? You are already considering out of state, why stop there? Boston area has quite a few top private/boarding schools. Phillips Academy, Phillips Exeter Academy are among the well-known ones. These schools send more than their fair share of students to top colleges.

My first thought was about those 'top ten'type boarding schools, but I've heard that PG kids don't nescessarily feel like they fit in socially, and I've also heard that they are more for the kids with excellently tuned up organizational skills that can 'hit the ground running.'

I spoke to the admissions direction, and described my DS13 as a 'work in progress' on the study skills/stamina front. He patiently explained to me that the brightest kids don't have an opportunity to develop study skills in their neighborhood skills because they get used to coasting on their intelligence. He said that yes they get many kids who fit that description and who develop their skills over the years at the school until they are quite strong.

I restrained myself from giggling, but it was exactly what I wanted to hear.

We also talked some about the level of pressure applied to kids of this age group. I used to envy the kids who attended my college and felt that it was 'so much easier' than High School. Now I think about them as 'not having a chance to develop all of themselves.' I'd ideally like a school that provides tons of intellectual delights, and looks for enough product so that a top tier college is 'a little bit harder, but not overwhelming.'

That's what I'm looking for!

Grinity

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years