Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 265 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #70202 03/02/10 09:21 AM
    V
    vicam Offline OP
    OP Offline
    V
    Our MFE meeting is on Thursday afternoon with the school. Dr. Amend agrees that my son has some issues from the spectrum but are probably due to his Tourettes. He is HG with very slow processing compared to his other skills. I am just so afraid they will want him in a resource room where his academics will not be addressed. I guess I am just in second guessing mode. What did I do wrong? shouldn't I have noticed the problem earlier? Am I doing everything I can? Should we try meds? Being a single mom I don't want to lay this on others but I just want to curl up and cry.

B
    B
    You are a hero! I don't know how single parents do it at all, let alone provide for a child who needs special attention. You have my admiration and sympathy. I hope the meeting goes well...

M
    Mag Offline
    M
    Good luck with the meeting Thursday! Sending you some hugs and love too....
    Mag

V
    vicam Offline OP
    OP Offline
    V
    Doesn't help that I teach the other end of special education, and know the pitfalls of being labeled. Spent lunch crying with a peer. It did some good. Thanks for the encouragement. I'll let you know what happens. If nothing else it gives me a new perspective as a teacher. This is all so scary.

Vicam,
    I have a list of about 6 totally embarrasing life experiences that I keep handy to prevent my head from swelling up too much.

One of them is crying on the shoulder of an aquaintance and complaining about my son being 'such strengths' and yet having 'such serious challenges' to overcome. She was a good person to talk to because her son is about 5 years older than mine, and also has similar challenges.

She looked me right in the eye and said:'It beats having the challenges without those strengths.'

I really was wishing for a hole to open in the floor so I could just get swallowed up. I thought at the time that she thought I was bragging, and that I should never have mentioned the 'gifted thing.' Now I see it very differently - I think she was just being honest. Yes siree-bob. Your son's strengths WILL help him overcome his challenges. It does take time, but you will all get there.

Good for you for looking for the silver lining of the getting new insight into your work! I'm pretty sure that they won't want to put him in a resourse room as the whole 'least restrictive environment' thing is so strong. IF they mention it, be sure to let us know, but I am praying that this isn't a realistic alternative at this moment.

Love and More Love ,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    No words of wisdom, but I agree that what you are doing, as a single mom nonetheless, is amazing. I am exhausted from thinking about the whole gifted ed. thing and I do not have the same issues you have - hang in there - you are doing great. And make sure you give yourself a break sometimes too - even just a special coffee as a treat, or something!

Cat

MAE Offline
    Along the lines of strengths, Jenifer Fox not only makes a compelling argument to focus on our child's areas of strength, but also lays out a very practical plan for doing so.

http://www.amazon.com/Your-Childs-S...mp;s=books&qid=1267554170&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Your-Childs-S...mp;s=books&qid=1267554170&sr=8-3

C
    C
    Vicam,
    Your Columbus neighbor is thinking of you!
    Chrys

Warning: sleep deprived
    T
    T
    Vicam from another single mom, I say curl up and cry if that's what you need to do right now.

Then get up and start again, (as you have no-doubt already done many times before). It will be OK.

Just don't forget you in all of this.

Good luck for your meeting.

L
    L
    Vicam! Look at all the amazing work you've done for your child! You totally deserve a good solid cry! Take really good care of yourself and I'll be thinking of you Thursday-

Yeah, crying is a great release, go for it! Just wanted to send Hugs your way, sounds like you are doing a great job working through a painful process of finding out what is best for your child; when we found out that ds9 was depressed I was truly shocked, worried, saddened, blaming myself, etc. On the one hand depression is a pretty treatable illness with an outlook better than ever, and getting better as people understand more about it. On the other hand, no telling when it could return, how bad it can get, etc.
    I understand that Dr. Amend is one of the best folks to work with in understanding what can help for some of our more unique kids ~ best of luck! I am sure having his info/him in your corner is going to help.

V
    vicam Offline OP
    OP Offline
    V
    Meeting went surprizingly well. We are putting him on an IEP for OHI( other health impaired) for the tourettes. Most of the things we are doing are to accomedate difficulties in writing. I will be getting him a laptop to use and he will have a scribe for any extended answers or written task. All of the people who tested him talked about what a hard worker he was and how pleasant to work with. The teachers ( who I don't like) kept commenting on how they haven't seen that in the classroom. I wanted to say does anyone see a relationship in this, problems in the classroom and the adults who are there. We really didn't get into many gifted issues but if we can get through the reluctance with writing his skills may shine.
    It was also funny in how the testers talked about how long it took to test him since he took almost all of the different test before he reached his ceiling. I was very impressed by the speech therapist who really went into the stutter issue as well as pragmatic language and writing. He knows it but doesn't use it.
    I just felt vindicated in some ways that the two teachers don't get it but the other adults do. and they will be spending more time with him like speech and ot.

Originally Posted by vicam
    Most of the things we are doing are to accomedate difficulties in writing. I will be getting him a laptop to use and he will have a scribe for any extended answers or written task. All of the people who tested him talked about what a hard worker he was and how pleasant to work with.

Yesss!

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM