Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 432 guests, and 38 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    N
    N
    Originally Posted by incogneato
    Interestingly, in our case, my kids have told me that they get pulled to take all the district evals for the subject I take them out for!!! I think 2 years ago I would have been LIVID about this! But now I take it as part of the deal. Because my children are enrolled, they don't want to be on the hook if something goes wrong. To put it in perspective, my 7 y.o is currently doing what the district is testing for in 5th grade, so I'm not really concerned that the school will get concerned, KWIM? They just want to feel covered. Perhaps you can even take the lead and suggest this to them in the meeting as a fail safe for them. You can couch it as an assurance that child is on the right track and that you'd be appreciative of the evals so that you could also feel assured that the child is proficient in the area that they are missing at school.

I wonder whether they are doing this because they want to check up on you or whether they want to boost their school-wide scores.

Well, it's not the state achievement testing. They actually aren't allowed to do that via NCLB. That's meant to measure the teacher and if the kid isn't enrolled for a particular subject they aren't allowed to administer that.

It's the district assessments. That's an idea I hadn't thought about, though, that if their high performance helps boost their *rep* within the district.

Perhaps they're checking up on us, I don't know why they would.

Oh well, it could be for a variety of reasons. At some point both the parent and the admins/teacher have to have trust in one another in order to make partial homeschool or dual enrollment successful for the child.

I think partial homeschooling requires patience and flexibility on both the part of the parent and the school. smile

Polly #69865 02/25/10 08:34 PM
    Originally Posted by Polly
    Also if you are reading, LMom can you tell a little more detail about how you arranged with the private school to have your child attend some classes... did they adjust tuition significantly? What classes do your children go to? How is it socially for them to attend part of the time?

The school had an ad in the local hs newsletter. While the ad didn't mention homeschoolers I thought it was worth asking about. They were open to the idea even though they tried to sell me a full time enrollment first, of course wink The tuition is adjusted almost proportionally. Last year we paid 1/5 of the tuition, this year is a little bit more as they lowered the f/t tuition.

We chose the days based on the class schedule. Most of the academics are done in the morning. The afternoons are reserved for drama, art, dance, PE, music, story time, etc. The kids go there for lunch, recess, drama, music, art, snack, another recess and a little bit here and there. It works pretty well for us.

The school is very small. There are only a few children in the k-1 and 2nd-3rd classrooms which I think helps. One of the schools top priorities is making sure that the kids get along well. So far it has been working fine socially. I do worry that this may stop at some point but so far so good.

PM if you want more details.

LMom
    LMom #69868 02/25/10 08:44 PM
    We considered making a similar arrangement with a private GT school. They were low on enrollment, so they were happy to work with us. We chose to go another direction--a co-op, and then ultimately part-time with the school for homeschoolers--but the GT school was quite willing to work something out with us that would suit our needs, with the tuition to be prorated.

I suspect a school that had a waitlist wouldn't be interested. But if numbers are low, I'd bet a lot of private schools would consider partial enrollment.

Kriston
    E
    E
    Our state allows for dual enrollment. Mine attended just for the gifted pull-out program in 5th grade (mostly for social reasons; it wasn't that great a program). Next year my children will be taking a foreign language (hopefully Chinese, but I'm not sure yet) and band. I'd consider sending them as much as half-time, but honestly, there's nothing else offered at their level. Which sounds kind of snotty in general conversation, but I assume y'all would get what I mean.

"I love it when you two impersonate earthlings."
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by eldertree
    Which sounds kind of snotty in general conversation, but I assume y'all would get what I mean.

We are having the same problem. I finally came clean with the counselor when I figured out her DD is gifted in one subject area. She told me to look elsewhere for anything but specials. smile

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM