Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 387 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    B
    blob Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Over the last few days, we were embroiled in a nasty fight in school. One of DS' teachers is a bully (throwing workbooks on the floor because of missed work/mistakes, punishing volunteers when they recite a piece of poetry wrongly). It's resolved with an apology - well, she knows I know, and she knows I won't hesitate.

The question I have revolves around this - I called around other 1st graders to corroborate my son's story. Surprise! A lot of them either didn't know what was going on or just couldn't remember. Which makes me wonder - now that we're in the school system, will we have a lot more battles simply because my son is more lucid? I can't even term what happened as him being more sensitive. He is, but in this case, he's just more aware that kids should not be cowed and yes, the word is abused.

Maybe this is the reason why a lot of us parents step in and advocate, not just for educational services, but because our kids are more aware and are able to speak up. This gives us the unfair reputation sometimes, of being overly protective. Is this the case for with guys?

I
    I
    Originally Posted by blob
    Maybe this is the reason why a lot of us parents step in and advocate, not just for educational services, but because our kids are more aware and are able to speak up. This gives us the unfair reputation sometimes, of being overly protective.
    Never thought of it that way before but I think you nailed it!
    P.S. Punishing volunteers when they recite a piece of poetry wrongly? That's rich. So sorry your son had to deal with this teacher.

Last edited by inky; 02/25/10 06:55 PM. Reason: P.S.
    B
    blob Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Our Gifted Services Officer actually told me to leave it because my son will be accelerated/there'll be some change to his class. But the thought of that teacher continuing as per normal with innocent kids just made my blood boil ...

I
    I
    Originally Posted by blob
    Our Gifted Services Officer actually told me to leave it because my son will be accelerated/there'll be some change to his class. But the thought of that teacher continuing as per normal with innocent kids just made my blood boil ...
    I think we also have a harder time following through with this type of advice. How do people manage it? I find it impossible to just let these things fall to someone else to deal with (like the next unsuspecting child or poetry volunteer).

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent