Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 117 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    MyModalert, miappaa, Brooklyn, hellotoyou, polles
    11,456 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    A
    A
    Perhaps I am missing the point here. I read the initial post as you wanting to see what sorts of things the kids were actually doing in Grade X. If so, I see nothing whatsoever wrong with looking at another child's work with their parent's blessing. How could that be cheating because, presumably, your kid's work might reflect different project choices an execution.

I, however, have always had a problem with witholding knowledge -- which I have always been taught and believed was a free good. Used to get into tons of trouble because I would always let the other kids see my answers. maybe they learned something from them!

M
    M
    Originally Posted by onthegomom
    I am planning a meeting after EXPLORE results with the 1st prority to get his Math better. Maybe I can work the Science and Social Studies into the conversation. I wonder if I showed DS the scope and sequence if he will be able to tell if he knows most of the information.

I think this is post is what most of us are responding to. The school should definately have to supply the information, I don't think that is a question. I think the question becomes if it will be worthwhile to advocate for advanced science or social studies in elementary, in the OP's present situation.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    DS in 3 is developing wonderful relations with 2 smart boys in his grade. He has loved basketball and feels great belonging to the team. He is a bit small so if he were to go 2 grades up, which is where I think he should be place academically, he would not compete as well and the following year may not make the team.
    Right now everyone can play. In 6th grade, students must try out.

I also think he could get bored in 5th. I just think there is a lack of speed/depth problem for DS at our school that would prevail through out the years. I think after much soul searching he would best benifit from testing out, condensing and having an enrichment available. Hopefully they could do some grouping with at least the other boys that are possibbly close to him in abilities. At this time, I am not against a class accelloration just full grade.

There is an never ending amount of things that could be learned if someone will just let him try.

F
    F
    Someone said they would give me their child's papers for the rest of the year for Science and Social Studies. I was thinking I could use these to antisipate what is to come for DS for next year in 4th. I certainly would not give him these to study with.

Is this a good idea? Could this help with advocacy? Would the school be upset knowing I have these papers? Is there anything wrong with this?

I don't see anything wrong with checking out the upcoming curric. our district posts it online and encourages parents to review it.
    I don't see how it could help with advocacy science/SS is usually not accelerated.
    And yes the school could get upset if they thought you were using them cheat on tests or hothouse.

I have a 2nd & 3rd grader here, so I get to see the upcoming work by default.

Is there anything wrong with it? I would say to trust your gut. Only you can decide what is right for you.

O
    OP Offline
    O
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    Unfortunately, I'm not sure there's much benefit to skipping/acceleration for science and/or social studies in the elementary years. Keep a long term perspective.

In my experience though, 4th grade science, 5th grade science, etc...is all just "variations of the same". The expectations are probably a bit more in-depth with each passing year, but without a true end goal (or an outright grade acceleration), I would try focusing more on depth than distance. Whatever each grade is already presenting can for certain be expanded and broadened and "taken to the next level". (This is not always true with math, especially in the earlier years.)

I totally agree on the social studies and science. That's what I want.

I do think there is Endless alternate Math for enrichment that could be used with the extra time available if he tested out or condensed.
    I think a Math & Science in one course combo could be the ultimate solution or something like art of problem solving, math counts type work or computer programming.

Last edited by onthegomom; 02/23/10 08:34 AM.
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM
    Mom in hell, please help
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:00 PM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by indigo - 06/06/24 05:58 AM
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM