Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 432 guests, and 38 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    B
    B
    Nautigal, My DS9 has ASD and possibly ADHD. He has extreme oral sensitivity to flavors and textures of certain food, but he has no problem with those. (He actually loves them! They are yummy!)

http://www.amazon.com/Coromega-Omeg...sl_mainw_dpl?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

http://www.amazon.com/Coromega-Omeg...sl_mainw_dpl?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

A
    A
    Has anyone tried alternative diets? Feingold ( http://Feingold.org )

I think many gifted people, with OE and other extreme sensitivities, are more reactive to foods, especially overly concentrated foods like sugar, and non-food chemicals like food dyes. Feingold web site has many case histories of children and adults whose "ADD-like" behaviors disappeared with a change in diet.

For myself, I really can't tolerate most forms of sugar. The first day it's exhilarating, second day likewise, the third day I can't think or plan my way out of a paper bag. The tiniest amount of caffeine, including as chocolate, and I can neither sleep nor relax. I think of foods as having specific gravities, some are "heavier" and will help me keep grounded, as nuts, proteins, rice. Sugar and I'm lost in space, fruits OK for quick pick-me up, but are very "light". Food dyes, and I just drift off into space. Many children are hyper in response to food dye. I could tell with DS#2 when the school snack had contained food dye. His self control was degraded, more hyper.

I can't start the day with pancakes, or cereal, for instance. Metabolizes to sugars too quickly, too "light"/ My "breakfast" is a farmer's breakfast, or city person's lunch.

I supplement calcium, which has a calming effect on my metabolism. Omega3's are great, Nordic Naturals brand is great, can order online. IMO, change in diet can't hurt, if it helps, whew, how simple.
    http://feingold.org/pg-symptoms.html

E
    E
    My daughter was on meds for about two years. They worked reasonably well for about a year and a half of that. We made the decision to try going off them when we chose to homeschool, and it's been a mostly good decision.
    I think if she were in school she'd still need the meds, which to my radical hippie homeschooler ears says as much about the structure of our public middle school as it does her ability to function. She does well at co-op, and will probably start taking classes at the JC fairly soon. But the structure in both those places is pretty different from middle school and seven back-to-back periods of dealing with boredom and classmates who are hormones with feet.

"I love it when you two impersonate earthlings."
    V
    V
    Got my Omega 3 gummy fish at Target. Reasobable price as well, Son likes that fish oil come in sea critter shapes

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM