Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 309 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #69082 02/18/10 05:31 AM
    L
    lulu Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    So which is better, broadly speaking, for Gifted kids? A highly regarded/ranked State with little or no mandated GT, or a low ranking State with great gifted services? I am pondering this as we consider a move 'one day'. If the first is the case, are our kids better accommodated for in regular classrooms or is it just that minimum standards are more adequately achieved there?

lulu #69083 02/18/10 06:09 AM
    F
    F
    I live in a good state but, a low achieving county.

I would say that it is easier grade skip, even multiple times, in the lower achieving schools. The flip is that smart kids are more likely to get picked on in this environment. I will also note that the district gifted program around here is a joke, because the main focus is to bring the low achievers up. They are the reason we are not meeting State Standards.

Around here the highest performing schools are not as open to grade skipping. They have a higher number of smart students so the gifties don't stand out quite as much. My school does not allow grade skipping even in the PG range. The fear is that if we let one we have to let them all.

So my thought is that if you have a PG child who needs major academic acceleration, you are more likely to get that in a lower area where the gifted kids really stand out.
    But you have a MG/HG kid who can be challenged through enrichment and/or compacting, the higher level schools could be be a better fit socially & academically.

I wouldn't focus as strong on the State as much as I would the County.

S
    S
    I think it all depends, schools that are 5 miles apart but in different districts could be completely different experiences. We live in a state with no gifted mandates or funding, and we have a PG child. They don't have any gifted programs in our school and it is a pretty decent schools, middle of the road probably. They have however worked with DS5 as an individual so far and are making attempts to meet his needs by letting him do work that is several grade levels ahead. They actually requested the grade skip for him too. So you just never know. We thought we would have to move...and who know we may need to in the future, but you just never know. Now a friend of mine with a PG child in a highly regarded school district that has gifted programs is not getting the accommodations she needs. But they did allow a grade skip too. You just never know.

J
    J
    I live in a top academic county, but live in one of the "lower" school zones. The elementary school is top notch, but the middle & high schools are not among the desired. IF we are still here by the time DS6 gets to 6th grade (when middle starts here), we will more than likely have the option to have him bussed or schooled elsewhere in the county (if the school is still on the list for not making AYP), which for me, is actually BETTER than moving to a particular district. We get to be choosy with public school education.

I personally wish, however, that we lived in a state that had amazing schools. I'm from NJ originally and would love for my DC to experience the education I did there. However, no amount of money could make me move back (no offense to anyone living there now) and be THAT close to my crazy extended family (or all that snow... ;))

D
    D
    You may want to avoid moving to a state that is on the verge of insolvency, especially if teachers are allowed to strike.

#69126 02/18/10 01:15 PM
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by kcab
    Originally Posted by delbows
    You may want to avoid moving to a state that is on the verge of insolvency, especially if teachers are allowed to strike.
    LOL, that'd be a lot of states right now - at least on the insolvency front, no idea about the teacher strike rules.
    School experiences are so much more local and personality (teacher, administrators) dependent that I don't think you can predict how it will go from the state.

If you cross-reference the states with the greatest funding shortfalls for the generously awarded, yet unsustainable pensions with the thirteen states that allow teachers to strike, CA, IL and WI are the standouts. Of these, only IL teachers utilize the strike option on a regular basis.

If ever there where a politician with the *gutts* to undo this fiasco, there would certainly be a temporary disruption to every level of education in IL. If no one fixes it, the state will financially implode. Either way the students suffer.

Anyway, as much as I would love to unload our house along with the ridiculously high property taxes, I could never advise someone to move to this area for the schools. We pay Chicago suburb level property taxes without the benefit of a Chicago suburb quality education. With two vacant homes to our immediate right and other close proximity homes into the second or third year of being offered for sale, we are stuck here for now.

#69143 02/18/10 05:26 PM
    E
    E
    As always, so much good advice given so far.

I appreciate these points in particular.
    Originally Posted by kcab
    School experiences are so much more local and personality (teacher, administrators) dependent that I don't think you can predict how it will go from the state. But, if you wanted to homeschool, or have the option of homeschooling, you might want to make sure the state is friendly that way. Another thought is that if you want to have state schools as an inexpensive option for college, you might want residency in a state that has a good system.

Oh, also, school district formation varies quite a bit. Some places it is by county, others by city/town/township, others it is something else all together. Can take a bit of delving to figure the system out in any given area.

Last edited by EastnWest; 02/18/10 05:42 PM. Reason: changed wording

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by spaghetti - 05/14/24 08:14 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM