Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    L
    L
    Originally Posted by chris1234
    Actually, as I read this wiki article, I guess the correct term for this might be 'mixed handedness'.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handedness

The Wikipedia article mentions birth stress as a possible cause. My son had a difficult delivery and possible mild birth asphyxia. Nobody else in my family that I know of is ambidextrous. His highly gifted half-brother is left handed and his very bright, high school football star cousin is left handed, but everyone else in the family is right handed.

L
    L
    Just to clarify, my son sees perfectly-having perfect vision-no actual sight problems. He is gifted in the VCI and reads at 10th grade level even though he just finished 4th grade, however, he had tracking problems/lazy eye (corrected by surgery) which caused him to use both hands. I was told by the vision therapist that tons of kids with tracking issues (can't be seen on regular eye doctor visits) use both hands. It was just a thought. Good luck to you!

J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Interesting... My left eye doesn't go left. I mean it will, but I have to force it. I cannot remember what exactly it's called. I was in all kinds of therapy for it, etc... I also have had the same Rx, only in that left eye, for the past 20 years. I wore reading glasses for tracking issues myself, but none of it corrected the issue with the eye itself. Now, I have an Rx in my left eye for astigmatism, hmmmmmmmmm...

My son doesn't actually use his left hand for much of anything now. But I'm guessing it could be still the issue for him.

L
    L
    My son took a lot of tests yesterday but we won't find out scores for several weeks. He told me he took a timed test and I think it might have been the pegboard test. I think he said he put pegs into tiny keyholes as fast as he could. He said he was 20 seconds faster doing this with his left hand. We had him write with his right hand when he couldn't seem to make up his mind which hand to use in Kindergarten.

Lori - interesting! I think 20s. might be a huge difference. I am looking up ds' numbers to see what the difference was there.

Yeah, both below 40seconds, so 20s could be a pretty substantial difference between hands.
    Our ds was average on right hand, and above avg. on the left because most people are relatively slower there and his left was just a little high time wise. They also count 'drops', but ds8 did not drop any it looks like.

Not that you want to go all obsessive over this one portion of the testing, and until you have your son's numbers you can't "properly obsess" anyway, as someone else on this board once put it to me smile
    But it does sound curious!

Last edited by chris1234; 06/17/09 07:54 AM.
    J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Y'all have me so intrigued about all this!!! I wish I could afford to test DS (and DD for that matter) NOW! Ha! Either that or take the time off of work to do more research about this!

L
    L
    I told my son's piano teacher about it and she thinks piano lessons might be the reason for this difference. The song he is working on for a recital has a lot more left hand activity than right.

She said most of her kids who started lessons when they were older usually have more trouble doing the left hand than kids who started earlier like my son, who started lessons at 5 after a teacher recommended it to help improve his fine motor skills.

J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Now there's an interesting thought as well... and it makes sense. I mean kids that start a second language early, learn it better, etc. So it would make sense that if you "programmed" your non-dominate hand to "work" from an early age, that you'd be able to use that non-dominate hand better than someone who didn't train with it at an early age.

L
    L
    I see that I posted my son 'just finished fourth grade'. I meant third grade...

Originally Posted by Lori H.
    My 11 year old son was ambidextrous in Kindergarten but we had him use his right hand only to practice writing. If he is holding something in his right hand while he is eating, he will use his left hand to eat. If he is using his right hand to move the mouse while on the computer, he will use his left hand to write. His handwriting is only a little better when he uses his right hand. When he is doing piano, he will occasionally play the left hand notes with his right hand. He occasionally rights 5's backwards and they look more like 2's. He sometimes writes P's backwards.

But he started reading at 2 1/2 on his own and could always spell really well. If he sees a word, he usually remembers how it is spelled. We homeschool but I never really had to have him work on spelling because he was naturally good at it and he only worked on it the year he participated in the state spelling bee.

Sounds like me. Being ambi means you can multi-task in a meaningful way!!

In the 3rd grade a very mean and wicked teacher made me choose my handedness for writing.

I still write some letters backwards with either hand. C and lowercase Q are my letters. My spelling is great except when I type too fast.

Mr W was ambidextrous from the first time he grasped stuff. I've noticed that he will mimic which hand I use to eat when he eats. He carries stuff and scribbles with both hands. He tends to favor his left for balancy stuff like steadying himself. He is not dyslexic at all.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM