Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 92 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    N
    N
    I get the feeling that you are looking for the perfect test score that you will be able to show to your DS's school and have them instantly recognize the needs that you see. I would be tempted to try the opposite approach. Instead of looking for more tests to convince them of your position, why not ask the school what they would need to see. For example, if you think your DS should be placed in 6th grade math, then ask them what they would need to see from your DS in order to put him in that class. If they tell you that it's simply not possible (for whatever reason) then at least you will know their position and can stop putting so much effort into something that will not achieve your goal and can turn your attention to some other strategy for addressing those needs.

O
    O
    NJMom - thank you, you are absolutely correct.

I think part of the problem is I'm having trouble getting to ask questions and then when I do I don't always get an anwser, we circle around.

N
    N
    I think that conversations with school personnel are often like you describe. But what I've suggested is a very direct question. They may not give you an answer right away, but it's a very straightforward question. Either it's possible to place him the accelerated class or it's not. And if it is, then the question is very simple--what evidence do they need to see before they will place him in that class.

It's worth a try. If you have a meeting coming up, I would save it for then. And you can put your request in writing with a follow-up letter that summarizes the results of the meeting.

What has your Davidson family consultant suggested?

O
    O
    I talk to FC for the first time on Thursday. As you can see I need somebody to get me on the right path. Do you think I should do anything to prep for that 1st conversation?

Maybe, I'll just present the following possible goals/obsticals and see what FC says.

Get School to understand DS's needs and consequences for not meeting those needs. The principal says it's ok if school is easy for him, which is discouraging. I did find some hope in that she said she was willing to learn something new. Principal also seem to appreciate the value of more in depth school work.

I was thinking I want the school to try something more this year. I would think with all A grades he has some margins for trial and error. A short trial (last 2 months of school) might make it less scarey to do something to challenge him next year. I also think it's harder to try something new when he is just starting the new year.

I would like him to test out of his daily Math pages and do more of mindware Math Enrichment I provided. More Possible ideas: move him up for Math Enrichment, pull him out to learn an instrument or spanish, accellorate in reading or science. Overall, condense, test out, or subject accellorate to find a way to challenge him more without adding more work load. I just want him to work hard on something and learn something because it all too easy.

Last edited by onthegomom; 02/08/10 02:43 PM.
    C
    C
    I believe that, in talking with your family consultant, you can brainstorm and don't necessarily need to "come" as prepared as you would for a meeting with the school. I'd present the ideas you suggested above and then bounce thoughts off one another until you come up with a game plan for how to approach the school. Having the FC conference in on a meeting with the school would be nice, too, once you know what it is you are asking of the school.

Yes, the job of the FC is to help you in any way that they are able to. So you can set the agenda. Whatever questions you have or concerns you're wrestling with, just put them on your list.

You don't have to do it all at once either. If you are in a crisis, they'll put you at the top of the list and help you as much or as often as you need.

Kriston
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...