Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 203 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    C
    C
    Ds 9 takes one TBSP of Barleans liquid flaxseed oil and two 100mg tablets of L-Theanine every day. It took about a month, but then we could see noticeable improvement in his focusing. Now ds seems a little calmer and "turned down a few notches" ... When he misses a day, we can totally see the difference...Very strange how this could work so well for him, but hey, I'm not changing it...I'm a believer!!! smile Good luck smile

L
    L
    My 11 year old son has been taking 1000 mg omega 3 fish oil softgel supplements for over a year now--the kind you can get at Wal-Mart. I just cut open the capsule and mix it with orange juice. He also takes a multivitamin.

He has some sensory issues and motor dyspraxia, but his musical theater teacher and choreographer noticed an improvement in everything--especially his timing and his ability to learn the dances quickly, and he seemed to have more self confidence. The only thing I didn't see an improvement in was his endurance. He still got tired faster than the other kids but he was able to compensate by focusing better on learning the dances. In a circuitry class he had no trouble at all with the wiring. He seemed to get better in piano even without practicing. But we were also working on some things at home that might have helped him.

Everything was getting better until he had to start wearing a hard plastic scoliosis brace that limits his mobility and is painful. It is harder for him to concentrate when he hurts and he is more sensitive to annoying sounds than he ever was and because of the pain, he tires even more quickly.

J
    J
    Originally Posted by keet
    I don't think Melatonin is supposed to be good for kids. I read somewhere that it can delay puberty.

With it coming so early these days, I'm all for that. wink

J
    J
    Originally Posted by Catalana
    Both my kids get Omega's - there are studies that suggest it decreases the incidence of bipolar and schizophrenia. Bipolar runs in my family and my DS is left handed, both of which are potentially related, so I feel like this is a tiny potential safeguard.

Really? Interesting.

It seems I need to make my own shopping list.

B
    B
    Our whole family takes Omega-3 supplements. For kids, a company called Northwest Natural Products makes L'il Critter Omega-3 Gummy Fish that taste yummy - DS and I both take these (DH takes a GIANT fish oil capsule - ugh!). For DS, it does seem to help him focus and for me, I notice an improvement in my ability to learn and retain faster (especially physically - I'm a dancer).

I also throw flax seed into our homemade bread, and we put milled flax seed into our pancakes and baked goods.

N
    N
    I don't think Melatonin is supposed to be good for kids. I read somewhere that it can delay puberty.

With it coming so early these days, I'm all for that.

Ha! I was thinking that, too--seems puberty is 4 or 5 years earlier than it used to be, so let's send it the other way for a change!

I was reading this thread yesterday, and today we had our first appointment with the actual psychologist (as opposed to the counselor we've been seeing with DS7) and when I asked about dietary things for Asperger's and for DS7's anger and frustration issues specifically, he recommended both the fish oil with Omega 3 and the flaxseed. I'll have to look at the health food store and see what they have that he might be interested in getting down. He's not much into swallowing pills, but most anything works if it can be slipped into juice or Ovaltine.

Last edited by Nautigal; 02/03/10 08:51 PM.
    C
    C
    Hi this is Nicole from Coromega. We came across this forum and were thrilled to see that so many of you are taking Coromega! LadybugMom, we are a glad to hear that you like Coromega and although we don�t have plans of coming out with Chocolate-Raspberry, we think your son may enjoy taking his Coromega mixed into smoothies or yogurts. We have a few great and fun recipes that you can try here: http://coromega.com/coromega/html/tasty.html. Also, look forward to seeing our newest product, Coromega Kids Omega3 Gummy Fruits � available soon! We wanted to offer you and other members a printable online coupon good for $5 off your next box of Coromega Omega3 Squeeze: http://coupons2.smartsource.com/smartsource/index......jsp?Link=WIYI45OZ4MOTG. Enjoy and thanks again!

L
    OP Offline
    L
    Thanks for suggestions - I think the gummy fruits would work well for my son but we will try it in smoothies in the meantime. The salesperson in my local vitamin store mentioned the new flavor - he must have gotten some mis-information.

Will the gummy fruits have the better absorbency similar to the current Coromega? Thanks for the coupon!

C
    C
    Hello all! Just have to mention something important about the Coromega gummies...Sorry to the ones who are fans smile.....The top two ingredients are glucose syrup and sugar, which in some children, have proven to cause inattentiveness/behavior difficulties. Another ingredient in the Coromega gummies is fumaric acid, which is a food additive. Additives have also been found to cause focusing problems in children. I urge you to look into the Nordic Naturals brand, which have no fillers or sugar...Only the pure blends of essential fatty acids of EPA, DHA, and GLA. A great tasting one for kids is omega 3-6-9 junior. A great website to also look into is feingold.org. It has a wealth of information explaining how food additives, preservatices, sugar, etc...can cause huge behavior/focusing problems in children. Lots of interesting stuff!!!! Hugs to all smile

L
    OP Offline
    L
    Thanks Cecilia! This board is always a wealth of information.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM