Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 391 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    L
    OP Offline
    L
    Does anyone give Omega-3 to their kids to help with attention and focus? My ds6 is having a lot of issues and we are working on getting some answers - could be sensory integration issues or possibly ADD. In the meantime, I'm looking at what I can do to help. If you use Omega-3, how much do you give to kids and did you see a noticeable difference? We have Coromega which is 2000 mg - I take that and really like it. Maybe it's the placebo effect but I am able to focus better.

I thought I had read that folks are using this for establishing better sleep patterns. More sleep is supposed to be a big help with adhd-like symptoms.
    I think Melatonin is in this category too - natural sleep aid.

L
    OP Offline
    L
    We do really well with sleep. He gets 10 hours a night and it's very consistent with bedtime and wake-up times. After reading NurtureShock, I'm a lot more aware of the sleep the kids are getting and don't let bedtime get any later than we have to. That's tough whenever we have an activity at night though.

Funny thing with the Omega-3, ds6 doesn't like Coromega (I even tried giving him lemon-lime flavor today)... then I was grinding up flaxseed to put in our muffins and he asked for the ground flaxseed by itself and he loved it. I also make pancake mix from scratch and put a bunch of it in there. I'm not sure how beneficial flaxseed is compared to fish oil though since flaxseed apparently doesn't contain DHA and EPA?

http://www.aolhealth.com/conditions/ask-the-doctor-is-flaxseed-oil-a-good-source-of-omega-3-fats

This was interesting but not an unbiased source...

http://www.flaxhealth.com/nutrition.htm

T
    T
    We take the Coromega orange squeeze. It is 2000 mg total, but what matters most is the milligrams of DHA and EPA. You are getting closer to 340 mg of EPA and 260 of DHA (if my memory serves me right. Sorry, I am too lazy to go check). I have heard that the ratio of EPA to DHA is important too. I think it may be 1.5 to 1, but don't quote me on that. Flax is great for the heart but I believe it supplies ALA which the body has to convert so it isn't as effective for mood, attention, etc.

L
    OP Offline
    L
    I think you are correct about the flax just based on what I could find online. I guess I just need to figure out ways to get him to take the Coromega orange, like in his yogurt. He completely refuses to take it by itself. Thanks!

T
    T
    My DD HATED the orange pudding at first and refused it, but then I flat out bribed her. I said if you take this, you can have___________________(insert small treat of your choice). I did this for a little while and now she will even ask for it and she is very picky. There are other brands and other methods of getting them to take it: liquids, caps, other flavors, but again, good old fashioned reward worked here :-)

If any of you know anyone who sells Amway (it has a new name now) they make a vitamin line that has an Omega-3 supplement for kids called Brainiums. They are like gummies and my kids love them.

K
    K
    I don't think Melatonin is supposed to be good for kids. I read somewhere that it can delay puberty.

Both my kids get Omega's - there are studies that suggest it decreases the incidence of bipolar and schizophrenia. Bipolar runs in my family and my DS is left handed, both of which are potentially related, so I feel like this is a tiny potential safeguard.

My DS loves the Coremega lemon lime, but my DD won't take it - she takes the strawberry chews made by I can't remember - Dr. someone. I think the Coremega is a better product tho.

L
    OP Offline
    L
    Maybe I will try bribing him. smile Coromega is supposed to come out with a chocolate raspberry flavor soon.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM