Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 285 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    My daughter is interested in debate; I'm also interested in having her develop her verbal communication skills more. She is a rising 6th grader. For future reference, does anyone know of good speech/debate summer programs in CA or western USA, or any year-around organizations that offer speech/debate/public speaking training? I've contacted toastmasters, (no luck there), I"m also aware there are forensic leagues with religious affiliations, but I was looking for any other.

thanks.

Debate is a preety thick topic.
    I'd start reading here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debate
    Then contact your state Lawyers Association and keep asking. Check with whatever High School you think DD might attend, and have a long talk with the coach/teacher.

My son attended a 2 week, overnight, summer Debate camp as a rising 9th grader, because they have a 'Pre-novice' division, and he was 'too young' but not by much. According to him the begginers work 9am to 9pm 6 days a week. He felt that the other kids in the Pre-novice division were there because their parents pushed them, while the more experienced kids really loved debate.

So, after you figure out what kind of debate you want her to learn, you might have to start a middle school level club locally to you. (You middle school might already have something available)

At the high school level here, they are always looking for parents to act as judges, and they provide training. I've been doing that, and it's very touching. It might seem like a waste of time, but I'll bet your daughter could get involved with timekeeping or tabulation.

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Hi Grinity,
    Thanks for your info. My daughter likes the idea of doing debate, she "out-logic" me since the tender age of 3, she loves to do research and talk about issues and things. She can definitely improve on her speaking skills though (the "umms", "likes") and while she has no problems performing violin in front of people, she does not like to speak in front of people much, unless it is about a topic she is very comfortable (like science). So...I though basic public speaking experience would also benefit her, before real debate experience. The High School around here has a pretty robust debate team, and I believe the Middle School where she will be attending is trying to start up a debate team. I just thought it would benefit her to get comfortable speaking more formally in front of people when she is younger, than when she becomes more self-concious as a teenager.... A week or two of summer may be great. Have you or anyone else heard of Middle School Debate?

Volunteering as a timekeeper or tabulator sounds like a great way to experience it, too.

If your local high school has a robust debate team, I would definitely try to become involved. Get friendly with the Middle school coach too. Be sure to figure out what style(s) of debate they do. It's like training for Softball might not help much if you are going to be competing in a Baseball league.

As for speaking opportunities, I think that best way for a child of this age to get comfortable with public speaking is to do a research oriented educational public service project and learning to present her findings to the public. Destination Imagination, Oddessy of the Mind, and I think first Lego leauge also have an oral presentation aspect.

Good luck! And take a look at those high school debators before judging your DD too harshly, ok?

Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    K
    K
    Will Tosatmasters let a child that young join?

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets