Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 137 guests, and 36 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    T
    T
    Originally Posted by CourtneyB
    My son's school informed me that they don't test kids who are at or above grade level.

Oh and the VP told me that 'Kids choose to be bored'
    Wow. I think we have a winner.... cry

Ooh ooh, just heard this one today.

Your son is obviously very gifted and he is underachieving. I don't know how to motivate him. He isn't interested in any of the work we are doing (4th grade). Have you considered keeping him back a year so he can let his social maturity catch up and then he will be able to pay more attention in class?

K
    K
    I got this response from a school we are in the process of applying to for next school year. DS5 is in Kinder right now (should be in Pre-K due to age standards)
    As far as your son being accepted into first grade, I can't give you a definite answer at this point. He would have to go through the process of the testing and interviewing and the final decision would be made by our Admissions Committee based on his current grades, the test results, the character reference forms, and the interview.

Even students that are gifted academically can sometimes experience challenges when they are much younger than their peers. This is one of the reasons that we do not encourage moving students ahead. If your student comes to *school name* as a first grader, he will be the youngest in his class (by more than a year) when he is in mid-school. Most of the boys will have hit puberty, grown ten inches, and like girls. If your student is still small, hates girls and still wants to play with trucks, it can be very difficult socially and emotionally. It is so much easier when a student is the oldest in the class instead of the youngest. The older, academically-gifted students usually become the leaders.

*school name* does not have a separate gifted program because our entire program is advanced to begin with and we teach to the upper half of the class. We find that students that are in the gifted program in the public school are usually on track with our students.

confused

Last edited by kd976; 01/26/10 02:18 PM. Reason: school name removed
    K
    K
    Oops, thanks Dottie! As for height, that is a concern of mine since right now, he's only in the 5th percentile for height... But I still think he'd be better off continuing on to 1st grade rather than repeating Kinder again next year.

K
    K
    LOL Dottie!!!

These are all hilarious, but the phrase "so he'll be cool" hands Dottie the trophy.

K
    K
    Dottie, that's what I was thinking when I read her email. Right now, I don't think he realizes that he's younger than his classmates. I mean, heck, he only misses the cut-off by 4 months. That's why I'm so adamant about him continuing to 1st grade next year. I was "young for my grade" as was a friend of mine. Both of us said the only thing we remember being "behind" on was driving in high school and being 21 in college.

MAE Offline
    My vote is with Breakaway - let's bore the underachievement out of him until he's socially mature enough to keep it to himself! That actually make me really sad Breakaway that you have such an uphill battle.

The K teacher gave us the garden-variety: "I'm afraid to keep giving him harder and harder 1st grade math worksheets because, well, what will they do with him next year?"

This year his GT teacher urged us to look into an HG program "because I just don't want him to be held back by being so far ahead". Yeah!

Dottie, that reminds me of what my 5th grade teacher told my dad when I finished the 5th grade math book in the first two months. Dad went in to talk to her and suggested that she allow me to do the 6th grade math book since I was in a 5th/6th combo class. The teacher said, "I can't do that because it will make the 6th grade boys feel bad."

C
    C
    Originally Posted by MAE
    The K teacher gave us the garden-variety: "I'm afraid to keep giving him harder and harder 1st grade math worksheets because, well, what will they do with him next year?"

That's what DS's K teacher said early on! She gives him some 1st grade math but doesn't want to do too much because what will he do in 1st grade then.

Of course given that he does 2nd/3rd grade math at home I'm hoping the answer to that wouldn't be 1st grade math! (We're going to do CAVA k12 next year I think)

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM