Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 255 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    D
    D
    I would say that you might look into whether your insurance might cover the psychological educational assessment, since it is motivated by the school and behavior issues. Don't know where you are located but Johns Hopkins CTY does these kind of assessments and can provide a bill for insurance. I'm pretty sure the other gifted centers around the country would do the same.

C
    C
    Don't be so quick to toss out the homeschooling idea. You could actually spend less time and effort on homeschooling than you do on trying to fix public schooling. It all depends on where you live. Homeschooling is not recreating school at home, and may be far less work and far more fun than you think. I homeschool my 6yo dd and have a 2 1/2 yo ds. This morning, while ds played, dd and I spent about 30 minutes working on subtraction with regrouping. Then we all went to the zoo. (Right now we are studying Kenya.) We went on safari at the zoo and photographed animals that could be found in Kenya. She read the signs and informational maps to determine which insects and bugs were found in that part of Africa. We played in the African village at the zoo and noticed the furnishings in the huts and what the people did and did not have. We looked at some African crafts in the gift store. We also pet a goat and played in a play area there. Later, at home, when ds was napping we worked on a puzzle book about Kenya and read two picture books related to Kenya. Both kids had a blast today and her brother only had to occupy himself while we worked on her math.
    Obviously, we don't go on field trips every day. However, I generally rack up less than 5 hours per week in one-on-one instructional time, and it would be much less if I wasn't providing learning opportunities well beyond what is covered in 1st grade. I spend less time homeschooling my dd than I did dealing with supervising her homework and dealing with meltdowns and tantrums caused by having her in public school kindergarten. My daughter now has much more time to read, play and explore her own interests than she ever had in school and she is doing much better academically, emotionally, and socially.
    Homeschooling requirements vary by state but can be quite minimal. I would advise looking at the different types of homeschooling �from unschooling to child-led learning to classical education and see what might work for your family.

Ditching the system might be less work and a lot more fun than fighting it. I can provide you with more info if you are interested.
    Christi

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs