Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 381 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    I just received the preliminary reports from DS7 assessment tests. I'm pleased with the results. His doesn't have Aspergers, ADHD, or ODD. However, it was recommended for him to have OT, because of his odd pencil grip. She also said he would benefit from group setting schooling and to work on his attention span.

All of the behavioral issues at school has been contributed to him being gifted. The Psych recommended an IEP or gifted ed program.

Homeschooling is fun and both of us are enjoying it. But, with my husband working from home it tends to be disruptive to him.

If we decide to send him back to school next year. What would be the easiest to obtain, an IEP or a grade skip?? I'm having trouble finding anything on the DOE website about grade skipping.

J
    J
    So you guys are homeschooling now or is he in school?

In my state IEPs are required by law for gifted students. What you get on that IEP depends on a lot. Right now all we have in the IEP is that DS is to get 90 minutes of enrichment a week. That was very easy to get since that's standard here.

I'm trying right now to do a grade skip starting with math and reading. It's proving to be very difficult. I know if it was in DSs IEP they'd have to do it but it probably would have been a bigger fight to get his gifted teacher to add it to his IEP than it has been to work with the principal at his school.

I think that it depends entirely on the laws of your state and the school that you are working with. Are IEPs mandated by law? Have you talked to the school to see if they'd consider a grade skip?

Hi T-boys,
    congrats on dodging those diagnosises! If the Psych is well connected to the school, the findings might even be believed! Or not ((shrug))

Good luck with finding an OT who is good with handwriting - here's a bit from another threat about 'DIY OT' for handwriting:

Ok Wanna -
    I love OT, but it can get expensive. Here's my 'home version.'
    1) lots of hand strengthening activities that are fun - kneading bread dough, paper mache, sewing, crochet.
    2) how to hold a pencil -Dangle it between the thumb and first finger, then swing it around.
    3) 10 minutes a day of 'handwriting without tears'
    http://shopping.hwtears.com/category/1stGrade
    My Printing Book for example, or some of their 'readiness materials' if she isn't there yet.

We complained about our son's pencil grip to his OT in 2nd grade, and she said: Oh mine's much worse - and blew us off. Nice lady, but...

YMMV - but you may want to try a little hothousing first.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

As for 'IEP or gradeskip' Some schools don't offer IEPs, that simplifies things. If you school offers them, then I would ask for both, depending on LOG of your child.

BTW - I saw this on your site:
    Bright: 115+, or one in six (84th percentile)
    Gifted: 130+, or 1 in 50 (97.9th percentile)
    Highly gifted: 145+, or 1 in 1000 (99.9th percentile)
    Exceptionally gifted: 160+, or 1 in 30,000 (99.997th percentile)
    Profoundly gifted: 175+, or 1 in 3 million (99.99997th percentile)

That is totally NOT what I'm talking about. Those numbers were fine back the SB-LM days, but the modern IQ tests have shrunken the range that it's humanly possible to get, with 145 basically being as high as the test will measure. The kids who get the topped out 160 have to have lots of other qualities that don't correlate to 'intelligence' such as eye-hand coordination. If someone scores 175 on a WISC IV, there has been a Math error.

So I would look for a grade skip if your child NEEDS a grade skip, and if you child is on the PG side of HG, or more, they probably need much more than a grade skip; perhaps grade skip plus subject acceleration plus an understanding teacher who offers individuation.

If you child is 'solidly' beyond what passes for gifted in your local area, I would start by requesting the grade skip, but plan in my mind to ask for a IEP as well, and be ready for the next step.

The reason the cutoffs for gifted vary so much is that the neighborhoods in the US vary so much. If a child is MG in a school were the kids are 2 gradelevels below the national norms, then they might need a gradeskip more than a HG kid in a 'university town' where they are a bit unusual, but still not far out of the ordinary. KWIM?

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by Tall boys
    She also said he would benefit from group setting schooling and to work on his attention span.

I would take this with a grain of salt, even more so if the psych is in any way related to the school district. wink I am in no way anti-PS but they have it in their best interest for you to send your student.

As to IEP's and grade skips, much would really depend on what is available in your state and district. What do your laws and policies say?

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    Great Links CFK! I had forgot about Report #7 after a quick check showed me that DS didn't qualify for extended scoring - (needed 2 18s or 19s, had one 19 and 3 17s) - opps.

Still on farther down on the page of the Hoagie's link one finds:
    Given the much lower scores resulting from the newest generation of tests (WISC-IV, SB-5 and WJ-III cognitive), professionals who work with the gifted are suggesting a new set of scores and descriptive levels of giftedness, beginning at 120 to 125 for "moderately" gifted, and progressing to 142 to 145+ for "profoundly" gifted. But these levels are still under investigation.

I guess the answer is that there is no answer. There isn't even any agreement about what 'profoundly gifted' kids look like in real life. Many of the YSP kids are spending lots of their free time playing XBox360, while other folks wouldn't call a teen 'profoundly gifted' unless you could see some prodigious talent - in a 'non-computer game' area of life!

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    a bit off topic, but the information and mention of extended scoring of the WISC, led me to wonder if there is a extended scoring for the WPPSI?

DD topped out and I am wondering if she qualified for extended scoring. I think I will be trying to get her application in for DYS next month and am just trying to get as clear a picture as I can of her LOG.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations