Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 262 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #66259 01/19/10 01:01 PM
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    Hello -

This topic is not fully thought out so bear with me...

I am looking for resources for my son (5.5) I am noticing that there seems to be a split focus online and in the media. There seems to be a lot geared towards "preschoolers" (roughly age 3 to 5) OR towards "gradeschoolers" (roughly age 6 and up).

for a specific example I was looking for math web sites and saw the suggestions on a recent thread. Well, he is not ready for times attack or lucky star http://pbskids.org/cyberchase/lucky_star/index.html, but he does like mulitplication. In other words, he is learning the concepts and the math facts in bits and pieces but not in a super speedy way.

I am sure we will figure it out together at home afterschooling (ds got a leapster for christmas and that has helped) And I was thinking about doing some kind of hands-on math curriculum at home like Right start or Montessori style beads because I don't see his interest in math (or language for that matter) getting addressed in public K. It just seems like I am noticing more and more a kind of "gap" or divide" between the little-kid land and big kid world.

Any other ideas on how I bridge the divide when my kid is asynchronous but not "super advanced"?

thanks

EW

another thought: he can read words and very beginner books but there seems to be more available across the spectrum of pre-reader/beginning reader/reader/advanced reader. (Starfall, PBSKids shows, etc.)

Last edited by EastnWest; 01/19/10 01:07 PM. Reason: added another thought
    I don't have a web source, but last yr when DD was in K and begged not to have to count anymore ducks and balls, really wanted to understand multiplication and division I picked up two books from "flash Kids" it took about 2 minutes of instruction on each book and away she went with it, very simple instruction and then about 12 problems per page, not overwhelming for a beginner. hope that helps... smile

here's a link to the muliplication book:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Mu...itm=3&usri=flash+kids+multiplication

E
    OP Offline
    E
    Thanks for the book link. The next time I am at teh bok store I will check it out. And THANK You for this too:

Originally Posted by Skylersmommy
    last yr when DD was in K and begged not to have to count anymore ducks and balls, really wanted to understand multiplication and division ...

this quote totally illustrates the frustration I and ds are feeling. I hope things are going well for your daughter this year.

Try Math is fun
    It has various levels of math facts practice stuff as well as mazes and games. It includes multiplication and I think division.

DD6 loves it and asks to do the math facts timed quizzes! (An amazing thing since she hates times math tests on the same topics at school.)

Hope this helps.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM