Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 429 guests, and 36 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #66215 01/19/10 02:47 AM
    L
    lulu Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Do any of you just get sick and tired of all the gossip surrounding your town's schools (public and private), and having people think that just because your kids are in gifted programs, knocking the schools they go to, is o.k. Feeling grumpy this morning - had an earful of this yesterday.

lulu #66220 01/19/10 06:09 AM
    C
    C
    I'm sorry! What happened?

We get this too...
    Chrys

Warning: sleep deprived
    Chrys #66223 01/19/10 07:46 AM
    M
    M
    Feel free to vent away...we don't have any GT programs or accomodations but there is plenty of gossip.

Last edited by melmichigan; 01/19/10 12:16 PM. Reason: my spelling was awful this morning

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    T
    Tiz Offline
    T
    Yes, sadly gossip is everywhere and it seems that some people don't have anything nice to say! There is this forum which is a great place for support and try to rise above it all - it is not worth it smile

Tiz #66226 01/19/10 08:20 AM
    Gossip and competition ... seems to be the common thread in most, if not all communities. It really does get old, but as for the knocking the school: perhaps the program isn't giving their children enough of a challenge. I really have no idea how the conversations played out and by your title for this thread I suspect it was very catty, but IF the problem is the gifted program isn't flexible and some of the students are in the HG+ category than it is possible they have a valid gripe. Just might be the way they went about it that would cause the venting. wink

Lulu,
    Are you saying that people who's children do not go to the school complain about your child's school? Do they feel free to make negative comments to you about the school just because they know your child isn't lumped into the "regular" classroom? Or are these other parents whose children are also in the gifted program? Either way, I think the gossip, competition goes on everywhere. I have always just refused to get sucked in, although I've had my share of things to complain about! LOL don't, however, and I just keep my mouth shut and try to do what's best for my son without getting sucked into the negativity. It can be exhausting!

JenSMP #66229 01/19/10 09:42 AM
    D
    D
    I absolutely consider any conversations about a specific student or a teacher�s personal life to be gossip. I agree that occurs everywhere though.

delbows #66249 01/19/10 11:58 AM
    L
    lulu Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    In this particular case, it wasn't about the gifted program, more that because my kids were in that rather than the regular student body, it was o.k. to knock their school and other schools in the area that this lady has never stepped inside. There is so much hearsay it's frightening. And yes, she was very specific about a friend's child. Some pretty nasty things have been said about the schools and kids by her and another lady who are not getting along and I'm trying to keep out of the whole thing. Having had kids in both private and public schools, people seem to want me to take sides. Not happening. Just tiring. I've had to make the difficult decision of withdrawing a child from a school (yep - the old 'he wasn't learning a thing' issue), but have always been very careful to say that the school just wasn't the right fit for him, rather than run down a school that some of my friend's children go to.

lulu #66264 01/19/10 01:25 PM
    A
    A
    Yes, yes, yes! I have gotten to the point that i only talk about relative quality and the fit for each child. It leaves you bulletproof -- and I also happen to believe that it's true.

JenSMP #66290 01/19/10 07:21 PM
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by JenSMP
    Are you saying that people who's children do not go to the school complain about your child's school?
    Personal attacks and spreading false rumors are obnoxious tactics. Informed discussion and debate regarding public school budgets, policies, contracts, programs and results are fair game though (although not in a way that corners unwilling parent participants). In our area, every homeowner pays dearly for the public schools (10% property tax increase each year for at least last 6 years). Most residents whether they have students enrolled or not, are interested in the quality of various school programs, assessment results and how their money is spent (which isn�t necessarily in a way that benefits the students).

delbows #66292 01/19/10 07:54 PM
    L
    lulu Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    We're talking personal attacks (against my friends not myself), and false rumors here. I just wondered if others had encountered similar situations.
    Feeling better for the breathing space of a day, and the helpful comments. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM