Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 265 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    G
    G
    Our DS, now 12, has done both kinds of summer programs through CTY (day program at 9 and 10 and residential at 11), and loved them all. The residential program made a huge difference for him - aside from the social stuff, which was more apparent and important to him than at the day site, the experience this past summer also really increased his desire to be accelerated. Compared to other summer science programs he has done CTY is so far ahead, they don't even really compare. I hope your DS enjoys it! If you'd like info about the So Cal sites PM me ...

D
    D
    Originally Posted by Grif
    Our DS, now 12, has done both kinds of summer programs through CTY (day program at 9 and 10 and residential at 11), and loved them all. [...] the experience this past summer also really increased his desire to be accelerated.
    Was he the same age as the others in his grade? Assuming he gets accelerated in school (and that this means a grade skip) would he mind being the youngest -- by a year or more -- in the residential program?

Our son just completed his 2nd skip and is planning to attend a CTY residential this summer as a 5th grader... but in a 3rd grader's body.

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    G
    G
    Originally Posted by Dandy
    Was he the same age as the others in his grade? Assuming he gets accelerated in school (and that this means a grade skip) would he mind being the youngest -- by a year or more -- in the residential program?

Our son just completed his 2nd skip and is planning to attend a CTY residential this summer as a 5th grader... but in a 3rd grader's body.

My DS was not accelerated so was with similar-aged kids. I asked him his thoughts about sending a younger child that is accelerated and he is iffy about it and reports that he wouldn't have wanted to do it. Some of what we thought was valuable about the program could be lost on a younger kid. Not because of the content but because a large part of what is attractive about the residential program vs the day program is the pre-teen/teen aspect of it - they have dances and things like that, and the RAs are college students so it feels like an older environment. I don't recall seeing any obviously-younger kids when we visited, and DS was not aware of any either. The kids live in dorms with roommates and common areas, so perhaps if you could find a similar-aged kid they could keep them together.

For my DS it was a real growing experience - he seemed so independent when he got back (and that has really stuck with him). It's like having a mini-college experience, where they live in dorms with RAs, go to the dining hall to get meals (DS's favorite part of the program), do their own laundry, etc.

My DS was not super tall or mature at 9, so maybe it would be different for a kid who meshes better with kids a couple years older.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by Grif
    Compared to other summer science programs he has done CTY is so far ahead, they don't even really compare. I hope your DS enjoys it! If you'd like info about the So Cal sites PM me ...

Hi Grif,
    Which science CTY residential course did your DS take in SoCal? I also have a DD11, 5th grader interested in science, just got the SCAT results back, thinking of the residential program in CA - Stanford would be our first site choice (closer), but may consider SoCal depending on courses.... And when you say "so far ahead", are you speaking in terms of the rigor or content of the classes? thanks.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM