Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 273 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    T
    tory Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    Hi all,

My HG DS (just turned 8)was accelerated from 3 to 4 this year at a new school.

He has thoroughly enjoyed the acceleration, especially the first couple of months when he was on a sharp learning curve. He had issues with organisation, which he has improved out of sight. He is happy, has made friends and has thrown himself into school life fully; choir, band, drama club, dance competions - you name it. That in itself should be enough (I keep telling myself)

However (there had to be one: his results don't correlate with what I know he can do. After 8 months in the new grade, he seems to be right back where we were before the skip:
    - coasting, little effort
    - reluctant to 'move ahead' (which I think is, again, a reluctance to stand out)
    - his appetite for learning seems to have waned frown

He took part in some state-based testing earlier in the year, (for year 4), and scored in the top 1% for spelling, top 7% for maths and top 8% for english.

His results in class though are almost all 'Expected' with the exception of algebra, reading, music and drama which were all 'above expected'.

So I suspect something is amiss.

There was a child in his year 4 class doing year 5 maths and english. My son was in awe of him and couldn't believe he was able to do that. He hadn't recognised in himself that he was doing exactly the same thing (which I suppose is a good thing).

My family think I'm being too hard on myself and him and should just let it go but the niggling feeling just won't go away. The whole reason he skipped in the first place was to provide challenge and to allow him to remain engaged.

Should I let it go?

Last edited by tory; 12/14/09 08:00 PM. Reason: no response - need help please??
    Originally Posted by tory
    There was a child in his year 4 class doing year 5 maths and english. My son was in awe of him and couldn't believe he was able to do that. He hadn't recognised in himself that he was doing exactly the same thing (which I suppose is a good thing).

Should I let it go?

LOL, they are so smart, and yet, they can 'miss' certian things - perhaps they have 'denial' too?

Seems to me that it isn't suprizing that a little bit of tweaking would be needed, and so awesome that there is already a boy doing the same thing that your son (probably) needs. I would certianly talk to the teachers and see what they think of letting yours son go with the other boy. Does that seem practical?
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    T
    tory Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    Thanks for the reply Grinity, much appreciated.

I will talk to the new teacher next year after giving her time to settle in (We're on summer holidays now here).

Now I just have to find a way to make the times tables exciting - he avoids them like the plague (rote learning - ew) and I know they want him to know them.

Fun (and thanks again)

M
    M
    Hi Tory,

What type of school is your son attending? Is it K-6 or K-12.

T
    tory Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    matmum it is a P(prep) - 7 school.

M
    M
    Tory - I have sent you a PM.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by tory
    Now I just have to find a way to make the times tables exciting - he avoids them like the plague (rote learning - ew) and I know they want him to know them.
    My kids liked Timez Attack when they were learning times tables. You can download the basic version online free at www.timezattack.com .

E
    E
    This is classic gifted behaviour - often gifted children don't want to stand out, because they know they're different. Sometimes school just can't give your child what they need. That's not to say that it's a bad thing just that it's often not sufficient. If they are interested in stuff and actively pursuing interests outside school, then I wouldn't worry - they'll end up teaching themselves better than anyone else can!

All the best

J
    J
    Gifted children need to explore subjects in a more in depth and challenging way and usually at a faster pace. Skipping may initial provide some challenges but unless your child is with other gifted students the environment may not be intellectually stimulating enough.My daughter, now in High School and although skipped and in advanced placement has never been excited in the classroom. She maintains excellent grades with little effort. Her interest in music is the thing that motivates her. I suggest exploring areas of interest to your child.When things come to easily they never develop study habits and don't learn self discipline. They get lazy in the classroom.

M
    Mag Offline
    M
    Hi Cricket2,
    Thanks so much for posting the Timez Attack website. Although my kids are scared of the monster eek , they really like the little dude.

Thanks! Happy Holidays!

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM