Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 375 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #64116 12/15/09 08:15 PM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    We are two days away from our initial IEP meeting. I just finished going over the draft IEP that was sent to me. It's not exactly what I requested and yet I'm not totally disappointed. I can see they are at least trying to meet some of his needs.

My question is on measurable goals. I requested norm-referenced pre and post test to measure progress each year. The person writing the IEP wants to use criterion referenced assessments with the phrase 'at grade level and beyond'. frown I've done a bit of research and I just can't see where the CRT's would work alone. I want actual objective and measurable goals to make sure they are doing there jobs.

Any thoughts?

Is MAP testing availible to your school? I ask because they include as part of their results what 'expected growth' would be.

'At grade level and beyond' certianly doesn't sound like it would fit the needs of a gifted child. What about '1 grade level's worth of growth for each year in school?'

What are criterion referenced assessments anyway?
    Can you request that you son be tested on all of the C-R-A for the next 4 years so you can see where he actually stands?

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity #64236 12/16/09 03:48 PM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    CRT's measure skills. My understanding is that they have cut-scores to measure the % that you pass. Which is great if you know the level you are working on to start with. If not you could get 90% on the CRT in level 1 which can look great only your DS is actually working on level 4.

So for us she wants to put 'at grade level and beyond' with a 90% passage. He is already above grade level so if he gets 90% at grade level that is actually no growth at all but regression.

I just wish I could get them to GET IT!!!

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs