Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 203 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    B
    bk1 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Hi:

A while back, someone posted a link with recommendations for the different levels of differentiation required for students all along the bell curve. I've tried a search and just can't locate it.

I thought it might be helpful with my advocacy with DS8's teacher, who doesn't seem to recognize what level of differentiation might be required. Also, does anyone have a link to a site that gives you frequency of IQs between 145 - 160 on the WISC IV?

Thnks,,

bk

I don't understand what frame of reference they are using if the scores can't go beyond 202 yet are higher than the ceilings on current tests. Am I missing something?

Dot-
    looked at the table before without reading the blurb at the top. I see now that it does say that they are using Wechsler and SB norms, but these tests do not measure that high, unless you count the extended score on the SB V, which I thought was supposed to measure to 225.

Maybe it has been two and a half years since I slept for more than three or four hours at a stretch, but I still don't think I can be that fuzzy headed. Are they talking theoretical scores, as in too high to measure?

Thanks, Dottie, that was helpful. I have to say that I am much more into practical applications and social/emotional aspects of giftedness. The more I know about testing, the more flaws I see.

C
    cym Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    Once a child tests beyond say 3 SD's from the norm, other testing criteria should be used to differentiate amongst those children. (In short, IQ tests are doomed from the start, the more you think about it!)

Dottie,
    Is additional testing criteria necessary? After 3 SDs, entrance to DYS, what more is needed or what more can be gained? Do you tell your kids their IQs? I haven't because I don't want it to cause trouble between siblings (and maybe also because I'm not sure what it means anyway other than potential ability). If you're lazy with a really high IQ, you might not be as successful or high achieving as if you're hardworking with a moderate IQ. My kids know they're 3 SDs because that's qualification to PEGS program at school, but beyond that I haven't disclosed. And what does it mean for parents?

I ask this in case I should be doing further evaluation to benefit my kiddos.

Last edited by cym; 12/19/07 10:23 AM. Reason: it was early--my head was foggy
    Originally Posted by cym
    Is additional testing criteria necessary? After 3 SDs, entrance to DYS, what more is needed or what more can be gained? Do you tell your kids their IQs? I haven't because I don't want it to cause trouble between siblings (and maybe also because I'm not sure what it means anyway other than potential ability). If you're lazy with a really high IQ, you might not be as successful or high achieving as if you're hardworking with a moderate IQ. My kids know they're 3 SDs because that's qualification to PEGS program at school, but beyond that I haven't disclosed. And what does it mean for parents?

I ask this in case I should be doing further evaluation to benefit my kiddos.

I don't think an IQ score is often really useful for a kid to have. Although (suprise, suprise) I can think of a few exceptions.

1) My Aunt reports telling in the college planning years, her baby girl , who followed two extroverted competitive boys, her IQ test, because my cousin (wrongly) assumed that they were 'so much smarter' than she.

2) I explained the bell curve and the LOG difference when my son first attended his first 'gifted summer program' at age 8. He was convinsed that there was something wrong with him because he didn't fit in with the other boys at his school, so I wanted him to be pre-warned that he might not really fit in here either, but NOT because there was something wrong with him. It turned out that he was on the younger end of the age groups and he had a wonderful time, but given the same uncertainty, I would do it again!

OTOH - After 3SD, I don't think there is an test in the world that can say the difference in innate ability between any two children. I don't even think it makes sense to talk about who is 'smarter.' From that point on tests can measure the Achievment of various children at various ages under specific circumstances, and that can help in educational planning or advocacy with school. If all is well at school (The Grinity Four Test: Having fun, Having friends, Learning Something, Challenged a fair amount of the time)then leave well enough alone and put your energy into something else.

Example: You've heard story after story about my DS11 and Dotties DS8. Which kid is smarter? See the problem? If anything, I would guess that I think DS-Dottie is smarter and that Dottie would say that DS-Grinity is smarter. Neither boy has enough sense to come in out of the rain so what is the point here? ((Humor Alert))

I would say that MG kids have a better chance of success in adult life because they are likely to be in educational settings where they learn how to learn and get lots of practice with their soical skills. PG kids can be lazy 'by nature' or becuase of Enforced Underachievment if unaccomidated in school. I don't remember if I know what the PEGS program at school is, but it sounds wonderful. How cool that all the kids you have met the criteria and you can dodge that whole discussion!

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    B
    bk1 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    I'm happy my post has provided some interesting (And funny!) discussion. Just looking back at it, I realized I wrote it in a way that didn't really explain what I was looking for. I have so little time to get on the computer, I usually just rattle off without looking back or editing what I'm writing. (Toddler in the house)

I wasn't looking for how each 145+ IQ level should be differentiated. I agree the tests and scores just aren't that finely tuned to really say numerical score X means this kid is smarter than some other kids with a score x-1.

I was looking for info setting out differentiation for an IQ -range- (3+ SD, essentially) that was based on the 160 max scores available on the current common IQ tests. I've found info based on older test scores, where there are much higher numbers, and thus the info is less helpful to me advocating for a kid in the currently available 145-160 range.

What I like about one chart I saw was that it listed both SD +3 and SD-3 on the same level and just discussed what radical differentiation might be necessary. I think most educators recognize the importance of tailoring education for a child with disabilities. Too many seem to think that smart kids (if there even are any at their school) don't need anything different, or that providing anything different is somehow providing an unfair "extra." I thought that admin, accustomed to IEPs for children who need extra help might finally get that DS needs something radically different, too.

I would love to make a LOG argument, because I agree that IQ only gives part of the picture. For a LOG argument to work, admin would need to understand the IQ score, believe my reports of DS's developmental milestones, AND trust the author of the LOG stuff.

Above level tests, such as the SAT, taken as a 12 year old, are one way to document LOG. The talent search groups will provide a bell curve for the kids, all in the top 5%, so gifted by many definitions, of the same age who took the SAT through them. Of course, I haven't really heard of any kids who took the SAT before age 9, so this info may not help right now.

HTH
    Grinty

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    By the way, my little brainiac just got off the bus with his shirt on backwards... crazy

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Oh, I so identify with this one! You just made me laugh so loudly that my DS3 said, "What's so funny, Mommy?"

Love it!

Kriston
    C
    cym Offline
    C
    Dottie's DS sounds like my DS 9--he thinks he's very clever to turn his shirt around before lunch, eat (and make a mess), and turn it back around...unless he forgets the last step.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations