Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 203 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Kriston #63958 12/14/09 09:24 AM
    T
    T
    I would not call that lashing out nor an attack. Yes, I did take it personally and so would anyone else who suffers from this disorder. There are far too many people like her that make these kind of judgements out of pure ignorance. Forgive me but I do not believe that this should be rewarded.
    You will find that I did add some important information along with a suggestion. What more can I do.

Timothy #63961 12/14/09 10:27 AM
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by Timothy
    There are far too many people like her that make these kind of judgements out of pure ignorance. Forgive me but I do not believe that this should be rewarded.
    Timothy:

Forgive me for interjecting, but I don't believe that a more diplomatic response would have been "rewarding" Kristianna in any fashion.

You will find that I did add some important information along with a suggestion.
    I thought that the additional information was helpful, and could have been even more so had it been included in your original response.

What more can I do.
    Water under the proverbial bridge, perhaps, but I think that a different approach from the outset would have been less grating.

For example:

Well Kristianna.
    Hi, Kristianna:

You have certainly demonstrated your ignorance.
    I don't mean to sound harsh, but I think you might be mistaken.

ADHD/ADD do in fact exist and has been medically proven.
    I believe that the medical community has already proven the existence of ADHD/ADD. From my reading, I understand that it is a neurological issue and is caused by a Beta/Theta brainwave imbalance.

It would be a good idea for you to learn more about this disorder before you start posting responses like this.
    You don't have to take my word for it. Instead, here are a few places you could find additional information:
    <insert appropriate link(s) here.>

There are two reasons for my harshness in this reply.
    This may sound like I am taking this a bit personally, and perhaps I am, but for a couple of good reasons.

Firstly, because your post is disrespectful and an insult to people like myself who have been fighting with this disorder all their lives.

Firstly, I've been fighting with this disorder my entire life, so your post seemed disrespectful and insulting to me. I don't mean to speak for an entire community, but this is how I felt. I hope you can understand.

And secondly, because you are providing an uneducated response to an important topic that could be misguiding those individuals who are reading these posts.

Secondly, I think that if you could read a little further on the subject of ADHD/ADD, you could easily understand how your comments might be misleading others reading these posts in the future.

In the future, please take the time to research something before you respond.

Again, I don't mean for this to be combative, although I suppose my response could be viewed as such. I often encounter comments from those who, perhaps, have not read as much on the topic as I would like, and -- I admit -- it is frustrating at times.

I respect the opinions of those who might think that ADHD/ADD is over-diagnosed and/or over-medicated, but for me -- and countless others like me -- ADHD/ADD is very real, and learning to live with this condition provides a constant daily struggle like so many other medical conditions.

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    Dandy #63978 12/14/09 01:09 PM
    Dandy, that was very well said. You really have a nice way of putting things.

That being said, I found the original comment that sparked this controversy interesting, and not too snarky in tone. OTOH, I agree with Timothy that ADD is a genuine medical issue. I do hope to hear more from both posters, as I appreciate hearing different points of view.

Lorel #63988 12/14/09 02:46 PM
    Thank you, Dandy. That's it exactly!

The saying "You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar" comes to mind. Polite speech is far more persuasive than nastiness.

I agree that I think this is a worthwhile discussion. I don't want anyone--on either side--to shut someone down.

Kriston
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs