Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 404 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    M
    M
    I agree about perspective, patience and grace but my son was never able to grasp these concepts when he was going through this period and lord knows I tried. His sensitivities to fair play were overwhelming, all consuming. It reached the point that I arranged for him to have counselling. Unfortunately at the time nothing made a difference. It was something that he eventually grew/matured out of.

A fifth-grader getting punished for reading in school is unfortunately a sign of just how poor the education system is, and how inflexibly stupid (or stupidly inflexible) most teachers are. I say this, by the way, as a teacher. I can't stand 90% of the people in my profession.

There is no reason for your daughter to accept any of this. Okay, forgetting to bring a jar to school - fine, that's a mistake, and if other kids were punished for it too, then no issue. But your other examples are clearly times where she is attempting to avoid boredom, the alternative to which would probably be constant acting out. I'd remind the teacher of THAT for a start. In any case, the fault lies with the system that produces the boredom in the first place. For gifted kids, having "perfect behavior" generally means shutting up and not learning, which I don't think any of us here would encourage.

L
    L
    Master of None,

I love your attitude and I concur. I just went to the second grade music concert and saw my DD8 laughing her head off at a goof-off. (Well, they gave her the finger cymbals to play, and she is on her third year of piano :))

Anyway, watching this behavior and given her teacher's comment about "She's very selective in the work she chooses to do", I put DD8 on "lock down." No more Harry Potter books, Harry Potter T-shirt, no more wolf tail. etc. etc. until I hear of a marked improvement in her attitude at school.

DD8 threw a fit, but I remain firm. She is going to have to go with the flow a bit more...and yes, it will be harder for her than your average kid, because she is more impatient and needs more stimulation.

DD's gifted teacher told me this a while back: gifted kids can be almost like special needs kids in the way you have to keep them on track. I'm feeling it tonight frown I wish I had a better solution, but sometimes you have to do what the crowd is doing.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM