Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    mnmom23 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I don't know if this is an appropriate place to post this or not, but you all have been so helpful and knowledgeable I'm hoping you can help, because I don't know where else to turn, and I'm reeling.

I visit this board because I have a HG DD8 and a MG DS6. I am MG, my DH is HG, and virtually everyone in our extended families are MG-HG. But we also have a DS11 who we are very confused by and concerned about.

DS11 was easily a LOG2 when he was a baby, toddler, and preschooler. All the way through 1st grade, lots of people we knew, including his teachers, said that he was probably gifted. He was a bit of a late talker (actually, talked in two-word sentences at 12 months, but generally didn't talk much, and when he did, left off consonants usually), but by 3 was on track. He learned to read at 5, although it didn't come naturally to him. In 2nd grade we had him evaluated because reading, while he was still slightly above grade level, was not progressing easily. We were stunned to find out that his IQ was only 107. We suspected dyslexia, but the testing results didn't indicate any learning disabilities. He remained a high-average student so we let things go for a few years, always thinking that something wasn't quite right. So, we just had him evaluated again, this time with a psych with extensive experience with gifted kids since we have such a strong family history of it and since he'd seemed so clearly gifted. Well, now we've found out that his IQ on the WISC actually dropped 19 points! We don't have his WJ results yet, but the psych said he was reasonably impressed by them, so they seem to be higher than his WISC would indicate they'd be.

Unfortunately, we don't get to meet with the psych for two more weeks to get the comprehensive results of the WISC and the WJ-III, but for the life of me I can't fathom what is happening to our little boy. I feel like I need to research what could cause such a drop in scores, what could make his abilities so very far below everyone else in the family, but I can't find any information. Could undiagnosed LDs over time cause a drop in IQ? Isn't the definition of a LD an average to high IQ with lower than expected achievement? Can it go the other way? What do we do now? Do we need to progress to a pediatric neurologist? Are there other assessments that need to be done? What on earth could cause a seemingly gifted child to drop so low?

She thought she could, so she did.
    I think you need to wait until you know his scores on the individual indices. That will give you a lot more information about what is going on.

If his achievement is good, I would tend to suspect that somehow the IQ test is not measuring the kind of intelligence he has. There may be a reason for that, and knowing the reason may be useful.

On the other hand, the whole thing could just be a fluke, and nothing has actually changed with him at all. I know two weeks is a long time to wait with these worries on your mind! ((hugs)) But try not to jump to conclusions. You just don't have enough information yet.

I don't really have any advice to offer you, but I will be watching this thread very closely, because our eldest son(10) had a similar IQ score to your eldest and my two younger boys (6 and 4) are clearly very gifted (although, we don't have any official scores yet).

Hugs to you, I can relate, I hope you get some answers.

mnmom23 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thank you everyone. I was out of town this past weekend at "The Happiest Place on Earth" and it helped (eventually) to get my mind off things a little bit. Still, my worry and confusion is always bubbling right at the surface. I couldn't figure out how his IQ was 3 SD below his sister's, and now I just can't figure out how his IQ dropped another 19 points. Could an undiagnosed LD over several years cause such a drop? BTW: He's always gotten As and Bs, albeit with a bit more work than usual. Funnily enough, my DS11 got his mid-term grade report on Friday (the day after I got his WISC results) he and got all As, including one A+ in reading comprehension,, except for a B+ in religion. So, I guess his life can't be completely doomed! smile Thank you again for the support. I'll update you next week when I get the specifics.

J
    J
    I don't mean to sound negative, but could it mean that he just got the ND genes? I mean, if he is able to get As & Bs with just extra work, that of a normal child/person, with a "normal" IQ (normal range is 85-105), then is it just that you might be disappointed in "normal"? Maybe it is dyslexia or some other LD, or maybe it's nothing. Granted the drop in IQ is quite large, BUT could it also be that he didn't want to be bothered with testing and "guessed" just to finish or something similar?

Just playing the devil's advocate.

Hugs MNmom!

I hate waiting. Remember that feeling like you have to 'prepare' yourself is a common giftie defense mechanism that has served all of us well at times. Remember that you are in charge of where you put your attention and you get to decide if this is one of those times in life where research is useful.

As for IQ results, it might help to think of them like a scale. Maybe I'm overweight, and I step on the scale for the first time in a few years, and I'm upset to see the numbers. I am upset, but actually weight hasn't changed. I'm the same person I was before I stepped on the scale. Or maybe the scale is broken in some way. Or maybe the cat jumped on behind me without my knowledge. Anyway I didn't get on the scale to feel badly, I got on to see if more knowledge could help me live my life better.

I'm guessing that if your son's FSIQ was 88, for real, you would have noticed by now. I'm assuming that the has some wild disparity of subtest strengths that are canceling each other out on paper, but not in daily life. I pray that your experienced psyc will help you find ways to strengthen DS11 strenghs and challenge areas. I have so often heard that Middle School is when the hidden disabilities start to become noticible - so his report card is especially good news!

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    H
    H
    So sorry to hear this MNMom. I know how frustrating this is for you. I will keep watching this post too. I hope you get some answers soon.

mnmom23 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    JJsMom, After we got my DS's original IQ scores when he was seven, we spent years questioning whether he was just ND, which was fine, or if he had some sort of LD. Given how advanced he was as a baby, toddler, and preschooler, our gut feeling (and our original reason for testing) was that something was making it more difficult for him at school than it should have been given his previous development. In the intervening years, he continued to do well in school but was having to work really hard at it (harder than other ND kids we know), particularly with reading aloud, although his reading comprehension is great. So, we decided that we needed to look further. I definitely believe that he was motivated to do well on the WISC both times and that he did his best and was attentive, so I don't think that's an issue. I know what you mean though -- I spent a while when he was seven trying to figure out if his original score shocked us because it was contrary to what we knew about our son or because it meant that he was "just" ND. Really, though, after much thought over time, we were shocked because he was clearly at least a LOG2 prior to school. Still, this really is what I'm wrestling with. Is he ND and thus so very different than the rest of us (which is find, just different), or does he need our help with some LD that is of now undiagnosed. Clearly, we love him dearly either way and really appreciate him for the nice, sweet, hard-working boy that he is and always will be.

Dottie, thank you for pointing out that maybe there could be some wild disparity of subtest strengths that are canceling each other out on paper, but not in daily life. I didn't really think of this, and it could be true. It will be good to see the actual scores in their entirety to see if this bears out. If there is a LD, I feel like that's something we can work with.

Master of None, I think we will definitely consult a pediatric neurologist. I think we have to wait to make an appointment until the psych refers us, for insurance purposes. He has always had trouble pulling words from his head despite a large vocabulary, and isn't very althetic despite his very early physical milestones, and does have a long history of ear infections, so hopefully a consult would be helpful.

Thank you again for all your support. He really is a wonderful kid, and I just want the best for him.

mnmom23 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Well, we met with the psych to go over all the test results. The IQ tests were basically what I reported earlier -- much lower than we would have thought they would ever be, but fairly even across the board. We did go over the specific questions he was asked and his responses to them, which were interesting in that he missed things that we know he has known for years. His WJ-III results, however, were actually pretty good. He scored 1.5-3 years above grade level in math and reading and even at college-level in story recall. His writing, which we know he struggles a bit with, was a bit below grade level.

In our conversation with the psych before and after the testing we kept coming back to our observations of his distractedness and his constantly "being in his head" (i.e., getting distracted by all his thinking) and suspect that he has ADHD-Inattentive type. This would help explain the IQ results as well as what we see on a daily basis. It's not a certain diagnosis, but is indicated strongly enough that we feel it is necessary to try a trial of meds. I know that's a controversial decision, but one that we have thought a lot about and researched and feel comfortable with at this point. Besides, it turns out that we have tried most of the non-medical interventions thus far. Obviously, I am hoping that this will make a difference and make things easier for him. We shall see.

For right now, we're just feeling a bit relieved to have a direction to explore. When we explained things to him, he seems to agree that this is an issue we need to be helping him with, and seems hopeful that this might help.

Thank you for all your support.

M
    M
    I hope things work out for your son and yourselves. I don't see your decision as controversial but rather as personal.

Good luck and best wishes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs