Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 292 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    DS has been very frustrated with the amount of work at school in his 3rd Grade class. He is the first one done with his work and has time to read. The kids must keep working and when they are done they need to read. Well, he says he wants to give his brain a rest and he can't. He says reading doesn't even feel like a break. Reading at home is still relaxing. He is not allowed to put his head down at school. I've read with the gifted kids 2 hours worth of work in 1 hour, feels draining like they did 2hrs of work. I'm not sure he can slow down any more. I think most of the kids are bringing work home and are overwhelmed. He does not have to study. I am still working on having the school understnd his needs.

Any suggestions for how to give his brain a rest?

D
    D
    Three Stooges circa 1940 for about 30 minutes works great.

Nyuk-nyuk-nyuk.

Seriously.

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    P
    P
    If I'm understanding right he finishes work while at school and then is allowed to read, but doesn't feel that gives him enough of a change of pace to feel restful? Are there limitations on what he's allowed to read? How about comics or books of jokes? Do other quiet book type things like books of crosswords/puzzles/mazes qualify as reading? How about an extra trip to the bathroom once or twice a day just to be able to take a walk?

Hard for any 3rd grader to sit patiently for as long as they are expected to, especially when they are through with their work. Free reading would be a reward for many kids but maybe not for him?

Polly

O
    OP Offline
    O
    Polly - you are understanding correctly. Reading should be something he likes. At home he says reading is relaxing. He is only allowed to read ARs. I think about the bathroom break. I'm a little worried about it because I've heard about kids taking refuge there for to long. But it might work for him.
    thanks for your help.

He may need more vigorous physical activity. GS10 has taken to running during recess and after school, just running as fast as he can.
    Also, send in Soduko or logic books for him to work. Reading is great fun, but doesn't challenge the brain like a good logic problem. Solving the challenge gives the sense of relaxation through the achievement.

D
    D
    Sorry -- didn't realize you were writing in terms of school.

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    Dandy - that's ok.

I'm thinking maybe the problem is the books he is reading are not satisfying because they are the classroom 3rd grade books for ARs. Maybe he needs some harder books to relax. That sounds a little strange.

He said he can't go to the bathroom until bathroom break time. I question if he is right about that. A little walk down the hall might help.

He also feel like he is doing more work than the other 3rd Graders in his 4th grade math. Like being punished for being smart. I told him it is being condensed and if he does it next year he will have to do even more work. I sent a note to the gifted teacher that maybe he could do a few less problems and still have mastery.

Maybe if his situation is tweaked a little he will feel better. I do wish there was another idea for him to feel like he could rest his brain.

Thanks for everybody's help.

Last edited by onthegomom; 11/24/09 09:50 AM.
    Originally Posted by kcab
    Maybe you need to look more into what he means by "giving his brain a rest"? It could be that he needs it to have a rest from something other than the schoolwork and that having something more difficult to concentrate on would be restful.

I'm thinking about my DD12 and what I learned from her last spring. Apparently for years she's had a party of negative self-talk going on in her head during school. This abruptly disappeared when, for a time, school became challenging and required all of her attention. (And that's when I learned about it, when it went away.)

Anyway, it's possible that he's unhappy that he thinks he has to do more work than other kids, but it doesn't sound as though he is working harder than the other kids. It sounds as though he is coasting. Sometimes lack of work can be tiring all by itself. Difficult to get out of that position though.

I agree, kcab. That's why I suggested what worked for our GS10 in that situation. Running until he is winded seems to invigorate him; same thing with solving a really challenging logic or Soduko problem. Boredom can be very draining, and a 'rest' seems to make it worse.

There is nothing more exhausting than busywork. Maybe you should ask him to describe a little more how his brain feels when he finishes his work. If it feels stretched, that's probably a good thing, but it sounds as though it's more likely to feel run-down, like a hamster that's been running on a wheel too long. In that case, I'd say the problem begins with the work itself, not what he does when he's finished it.

Last edited by zhian; 11/25/09 08:00 PM.
    This might not work for him, but my ds9 has always enjoyed swinging at the park and also dancing for feeling good.
    The swing is apparently a good place to think deep thoughts, and dance is a great way to get out of his head and just get physical for a while...from what I understand.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent