Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 226 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    If you're familiar with the Teaching Company (www.teach12.com), then you know that they often have sales. (Don't ever pay full price for their titles!) But right now they're having the most amazing sale I've ever seen there--most of their titles are 50% off their "sale prices." This means that many of their 24-lecture DVD sets are now $35! There's also free shipping.

The code is: 36855

Once I put the code and one item in my cart, everything else started listing the sale price on the main (not cart) part of the website.

I bought over $250 worth of stuff and I wasn't even planning to shop. But $35 per course is WAY too good to pass up! smile

Happy shopping!

Kriston
    Thanks for introducing me to this site Kriston. You know the more time I spend on here and investigate what is available to me at home the more I find seriously lacking in the public school. I want to find a way to afford to stay home and homeschool.

N
    N
    Thanks Kriston!
    I loved looking at the website, I did not know about the Teaching company before.
    I would be interested to order some of the courses for my DS (almost 6). Do you use these to supplement your homeschooling curriculum or is it more geared for grownups?
    My son loves the history channel DVD series on presidents, we borrow them from the library over and over again. Would you think these would compare as far as the difficulty goes?
    I am really not familiar with these courses and would like to compile some material for next school year, as it looks that we may end up homeschooling. Which ones would you recommend, I was looking at some history ones and science and math...
    I really appreciate your help. thanks.

Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    It's high school- and college-level material. I haven't used any of it with my DS8 yet, but he is very visual, so I'm hoping to crack out some of the math to supplement/reinforce what we're doing.

Frankly, I have a hard time not buying from TTC for *me*! I don't mean to sound like a commercial, but their course descriptions are so intriguing. The "I want to major in everything" college student that I once was gets all excited! laugh

Kriston
    Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Oh and Niki, I can't recommend specific titles since we are just dipping a toe in. But their stuff comes well-recommended by many HG+ families I know.

I have seen Arthur Benjamin speak, and I can vouch for his stuff in general, if not his TTC courses specifically. He's the "Mathmagician," and he makes math fun.

Kriston
    Q
    Q
    Thanks, Kriston. They seem to have a sale everyday - but I'll definitely take a look.

What does everyone recommend?

I've heard good things about geology and good things about the high school history classes, although some don't like the lecturer's silly antics (he dresses up as someone from the period of history he's describing - a positive for us).

Unfortunately, they don't offer video samples, but they do have reviews. Also, the course descriptions detail how many graphics and whether the course is good for audio and/or video. My DS doesn't care for the straight lectures w/o visuals.

Also, we once checked the prehistory out of the library. It was very slow and we returned it. The lecturer definitely subscribed to the school of tell them what you're going to tell them, tell them, and tell them again. The first lecture was entirely about what he was going to talk about in the rest of the course. Then the second lecture talked about what he was going to get to in that lecture, etc. It went on and on and on. Not for us, although I'm sure others enjoyed it.

Originally Posted by Niki
    My son loves the history channel DVD series on presidents, we borrow them from the library over and over again.

You mean The Presidents? I had to purchase that one for DS7 last year or I would have ended up with TiVo full of documentaries about presidents and no space to tape anything else.

I don't know if this one is on sale but Joy of Mathematics by Arthur T. Benjamin is a popular one among math kids.

LMom
    N
    N
    Kriston, that is so great that you buy them for your self. The course descriptions do sound so interesting, it is like a candy store for the brain.
    I have an easier time justifying the expense if it is tied to DS's education. LOL But in secrete I am looking forward to watch some of these as well.
    I think DS would love the one on Abraham Lincoln, the astronomy and math....hm, what else...

Lmom, yes that is the one. DS had the president obsession for a while. One time we went on a long driving trip, and that was his choice for the car ride. Needless to say, it was very educational even for the driver.
    We don't have cable, so we depend lot on PBS and local libraries. I will check the Mathematics by A.T. Benjamin.

Thanks again Kriston for pointing out such resource.

D
    D
    Here's a little something to help y'all feed the habit:

$20 off Coupon ($100+ order)
    Code: CVSC

(If you don't have www.RetailMeNot.com bookmarked, do so now... it's a fantastic clearinghouse of discount codes. Don't buy anything online without checking this site first.)

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    C
    C
    Thank you both for the coupon codes. I got dd#1 an intro biology course for just under $90 and dh an economics course for around $35. Since that got me over $100, I got the $20 off and free shipping.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM