Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 349 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #62085 11/22/09 01:01 AM
    J
    joys Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    We had DS4's parent teacher conference two weeks back and what came out of it left me wondering.
    Since we haven't had DS tested, I am not sure if I understand his level of giftedness hence this post. On Ruf's level, he fits in level 4 or 5.
    Now his teacher told us that he is very bright academically, but emotionally not mature enough so we should think of red-shirting him. As he is already reading (pretty much everything), writing, doing math, we are concerned if this is a good idea or not. We don't want him to get into trouble because of his emotional immaturity but at the same time we want him to be challenged academically.
    Is redshirting of gifted kids a good idea, if they have a late summer birthday? What do you think?

C
    C
    Any chance you could negotiate redshirting him in the sense that he doesn't start school until a year later, but then starting a year up? I'd optimistically think that now might be a great time to discuss that with the school (but I'm from a different system, so don't take my word for it!)

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    J
    J
    Eek! I would be wary of "red shirting", if I understand that to be holding back a gifted child. Emotional sensitivity does not equal emotional immaturity. But like ColinsMum says - if he's not ready now, why not wait until mid-year and then start him in a higher grade? What does your gut say? Perhaps this school isn't the answer? Good luck... jojo

K
    K
    Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    Any chance you could negotiate redshirting him in the sense that he doesn't start school until a year later, but then starting a year up?

That's a great option if you can talk them into it. Even if he starts now, he is likely to find kindergarten boring. However, if it is a half day situation, it might be an easier transition than to jumping into all day 1st grade next year. I think that all day transition is tough for lots of kids.

I find these situations difficult. I know lots of boys held back in our area. All day kindergarten is pretty standard. And I also know several bright boys who were sent after just making the cut off that have had a couple very rough years behaviorally, but are well ahead of the curve academically. I have a son that missed the cut off by about 6 weeks and turned 6 shortly after starting. Kindergarten was great for him socially and emotionally. Academically it wasn't so great, but he did have a creative, open ended teacher. My son was at home and learned so much that year before kindergarten. Looking back, we were "unschooling". A year earlier, for him it wouldn't have great either way. We're homeschooling now, so you can see where that ended for us!

You might want to pursue testing if you really think you need the evidence to get the accommodations and entry you want. Although, not every school will except outside testing. Maybe even ask the school if they would be willing to do testing.

We went throught the exact same thing. At the time, we knew our ds was bright, but we didn't realize he was gifted. We just thought most kids were like that! This was PK4, and the school asked us to repeat PK4 a second year. We agreed b/c of "emotional immaturity" and were assured that they'd differentiate the curriculum for him. That never happened, and the inattention and emotional meltdowns continued. Luckily, that year, the teacher didn't mind his behavior so much (very laid back), but he didn't learn anything! In my personal opinion, if you want a gifted child to mature, you don't put him/her in a group of kids younger than them. Again, just my personal opinion. In KG, we had more of the same b/c ds was bored stiff. No meltdowns (he had gained some self control over the summer in this regard.), but he exhibited significant inattention and talking out in class. The teacher agreed that the curriculum was not a challenge to him, but differentiation nor acceleration were an option in this particular school b/c class sizes had grown so much. We decided we weren't going to pay big bucks for our son to learn nothing and get in trouble all day and pulled him to hs. We did plan for ADHD testing, and then ended up doing gifted testing instead. The psych who did his testing said that he often sees students misdiagnosed with ADHD or just referred to as "emotionally immature" when they are simply unchallenged and gifted. I agree that emotional sensitivity or intensity is not the same as immaturity with these kids. We are homeschooling as well, and I feel that we are having to work extra hard to reverse a major case of underachievement b/c of repeating a grade. If I had it to do again, I would NOT have him repeat. Just my humble opinion and one person's experience, but FWIW...

Oh, I also wanted to add that my ds's behavior is much more mature when he's with older kids than with his peers or younger kids. It's very strange to us b/c when he's with younger children, he actually behaves less maturely than they do. When he's with older kids, he steps right up to their level. It's bizarre.

HTH!
    Jen

K
    K
    I definitely agree that if he is in a classroom situation now, I wouldn't have him do the SAME thing again for another year!

We also didn't know anything about the world of gifted until our son was about 3/4ths through kindergarten and I realized the whole class hadn't jumped 4 grade levels in reading that year.

G
    G
    Originally Posted by JenSMP
    We went throught the exact same thing. At the time, we knew our ds was bright, but we didn't realize he was gifted.

Our experience was very similar to Jen's, but at the last moment we decided not to redshirt DS, who is now 12 and in 7th grade. I believe it would have been okay either way. The first few years were tough in some ways - during the first three weeks of kindergarten he fell asleep in school every day (at that point we and the teacher were seriously reconsidering our decision to send him)! And he had some issues with being hard to redirect/talking too much in class about things he is interested in, but I'm not sure how an extra year would have impacted that.

Now he is in 7th and it still affects his school situation in some ways, particularly since MANY people in our district redshirt summer boys, so there are many kids in his class that are more than a year older (and some of the kids his age from preschool are now in 6th). But academically he is doing great, is in GATE and all the things that go along with being a smart kid.

Like Jen's DS, my DS is very mature now, so that is no longer an issue. Now he just doesn't like it that he is among the smaller 7th graders!

PM me if you have any questions about our experience smile

J
    joys Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Colinsmum,
    His teacher says that as he is already well ahead academically, she will not have enough to keep him busy next year so he willhave to move on to kindergarten but we can think about keeping him another year in KG.

Jojo,
    When I asked DS if he finds the school work easy or difficult, he said easy and my gut says No about redshirting.

Kimck,
    he is already going to full-day pre-K and we have been thinking of testing him, possibly next summer when he turns 5.

Jen,
    What you wrote about your son is what I fear. I sense he is already a bit bored. His teacher did not mention about any meltdowns but said he is more interested in correcting\seeing what other kids are doing rather than doing his own work. At the sametime she also said that he is very focused when he is challenged. Other thing she mentioned is that once he has set his mind on what he wants to do, it is difficult to change his mind and yes she said he is very competitive and that sometimes refelects negatively. She also mentioned about inattention in the class but at the same time also said that he is very bright academically and if he is not paying attention does not mean he is not learning. He sometimes forgets to use his words like saying excuse me instead would use his hands to side the other kids, however at home he always uses "excuse me", "please", "thank you" so I am confused.

In order to correct the existing issues, we don't want to introduce new ones and thats my concern with red-shirting. If he has not been doing great academically, the decision would have been easy.

Grif, he is already going school full-day and thats not an issue, the issue is to challenge the teacher and inattention. and we are not sure if keeping him back another year would help or harm.

C
    C
    That sounds very similar to my DS. We ultimately did opt to send him to K this year. I didn't see him going straight to a full day 1st next year without having gone to K. I think he needs the time to get used to the school before having to go full day.

He is a much different kid than he was at preschool. Where he wouldn't participate there he does participate at K. He actually did really really well the first 8-10 weeks but now he is starting to fidget much more. All along he has had a few emotional breakdowns here and there but his teacher is very good with him and has learned some of his triggers. She knows he doesn't transition well so she makes sure to give warnings before group changes.

Before making a decision one way or another definitely check out the school he would go to. Even DS5s preschool teachers said it was so dependent on the K teacher as to how he would do. Also last year in March I was unsure on whether to send him but by summer I was pretty positive sending him was the right choice. So the next few months may just be all he needs.

J
    joys Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    Wait, this decision would potentially be for next year? As in not even 2010/2011, but 2011/2012? Am I correct in (skimming) understanding that K next year is pretty much a "done deal", and the question is whether or not to hang out for an extra year?

I'm all for planning ahead, but at age 4....that's a little too far ahead, in my book. I'd wait this one out at this point. You'll be in a much better position to address that possibility in the spring of 2011.

Yes, you are correct. We went there with the mindset of advocating subject acceleration but she got me all confused. If this is so further down the road, we wonder why she raised it in the first place. May be she raised it casually and I am taking it too seriously. Don't get me wrong, we like the teacher a lot, she is great, positive and understands him and thats why it got us worried. She actually was very detailed in explaining his progress but my husband and I have been concerned with this suggestion and hence the post. We just hope that things correct themselves given time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM