Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 387 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    J
    JDAx3 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    Do *try* to be patient about the link problems, though I sympathize with you there! Remember that these are cheap/free groups run by parent volunteers. Phone calls are often a better choice, I find, if that's an option available to you.
    Oh, I probably gave the impression that I'm a rigid ogre who gives no more than one chance for things, LOL. That's not it, and I'll try again, but I really do get frustrated with those things, especially after a couple hours of getting nowhere. After wading thru page after page of info/groups/curriculums, I feel as if I've accomplished nothing. Unfortunately, I'm not finding too many phone numbers, although I can't blame anyone. *I* certainly wouldn't put my phone number out there in general cyberspace.

Originally Posted by JenSMP
    OMG!!! I totally agree about the technological difficulties! Apparently I am on a "pending" list for two groups, but it took me two weeks to figure that out! Still don't know when I'll be "approved."
    LOL, at least you're pending...after 2-3 attempts at sending a message to someone and being re-directed to a link to verify this or activate that, my eye started to twitch and I could swear I heard the theme from The Twilight Zone somewhere in the distance. I decided to quit for the day - it's anybody's guess as to whether my message ever made it to the destination.

Originally Posted by BWBShari
    GT craziness all day, everyday!
    "GT craziness", love it.

I have a friend with HG+ kids on the east coast on a farm who keeps threatening to start a commune for us all! LOL!

And, no, JDAx3, you did not come off as a "rigid ogre." <Snort!> I do totally sympathize. I are a English major, after all, so computer glitches bug me. And patience in general is definitely not my particular virtue...

wink

I just didn't want you to give up, even if they're not making things as easy as they could make them. As someone who is in a couple of homeschooling groups and who is not a "joiner," I wanted you to know that it might well be worth the trouble, even if it's a pain.

No worries. smile

Kriston
    Originally Posted by JDAx3
    I think that DS hasn't really liked school for so long that even he doesn't remember what it's like to enjoy it. Anything related to school is a big turn-off to him right now. I think that he feels that he spends all this time at school, and doing homework, and doing GT stuff, and doing extra required things at school that other kids and teachers think are fun, but he just doesn't. DH brought home a book for DS the other day (8000 Things to Know or something like that, DS has always enjoyed encyclopedia type books) and he was really excited. Over the next couple of days, all we heard were the various facts and things he'd learned while perusing the book. It wasn't required reading and I saw DS really excited about it - and learning!! As opposed to all the stuff he has to do in/with/for school.

This is a very common phenomenon for Gifted Families who start homeschooling. Lots of them plan on a very laid back start 'deschooling' I believe it's called, where there is no plan and no pressure to do anything 'school.' Obviously you are going to want to leave a very 'Almanacs' around, and plan a few trips to the library and field trips, but it may take several months of 'no school' for your son to rediscover that he does actually love to learn. This also has the advantage of giving you plenty of time to observe your son's learning style, favorite topics, talk to him about what he his interest are, and collect possible resources/materials for when you do start schooling again.

Doesn't that sound cool?
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Originally Posted by BWBShari
    There's lots of empty space in New Mexico!..... We could create our own soviergn nation, GT craziness all day, everyday! At least then our kids would be surrounded by people that get it!!

All Hail, Queen Shari!

Mom to DYS-DS6 & DS3
    J
    JDAx3 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    This is a very common phenomenon for Gifted Families who start homeschooling. Lots of them plan on a very laid back start 'deschooling' I believe it's called, where there is no plan and no pressure to do anything 'school.' Obviously you are going to want to leave a very 'Almanacs' around, and plan a few trips to the library and field trips, but it may take several months of 'no school' for your son to rediscover that he does actually love to learn. This also has the advantage of giving you plenty of time to observe your son's learning style, favorite topics, talk to him about what he his interest are, and collect possible resources/materials for when you do start schooling again.

Doesn't that sound cool?
    Grinity
    Yep, sure does.

I think we've arrived at our decision and are looking forward to it. I was telling someone yesterday that a great deal of my DSs school experience is akin to being stuck in traffic at a green light. He's ready to move forward, yet can't because he's in a class with 20 or so other kids. It's a situation that can't be helped because he's not necessarily ready to advance another grade, but he'd like to move at a faster pace and that's just not always possible for teachers/schools to accomodate. So, it seems the best alternative to personalize the experience and provide what he needs is to HS. There are other factors, of course, but this one is a big concern for DS.

Many thanks to everyone for your input, it's greatly appreciated. I'm sure I'll be back as I progress to curriculum selection and so on.

Hi JDAx3 - glad you're coming to a decision! We'll be here when you need support!

Dazey

Super-duper JDAx3 (reference to the Star Trek Character J'Adzia Dax perhaps?)

My son loved trivia books of all kinds. He seemed thirsty for knowledge but not ready for college level texts. Little did I know then that Middle School Level textbooks were just perfect for this stage. Start shopping for cheap used Middle school textbooks and let the fun begin! It really doesn't matter which one you pick. They are all superficial and colorful - perfect!

Smiles,
    Grinity-ear-to-ear!

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    At the risk of sounding too idealistic, you do have access to someone who can tell you that kind of thing - your DS. It's his education, after all, and if you can get him to be a reflective learner that's an enormous gift in its own right. I suggest telling him you need him to observe his learning, starting with what he can observe retrospectively about what has helped him learn in the past. I expect he'll have trouble separating out what he enjoyed from what helped him learn (they do overlap, but are not the same thing) but maybe if you direct him to think about times he's started off thinking something would be boring or hard and in fact it's turned out interesting...?
    ColinsMum! ,

I love it! What a great suggestion. I think we should start a thread of people who asked their children this question and see the responses. I think we would all learn a lot about they way our children learn and how they may be alike in some ways and so different in others. We may even find out some good information to share with their teachers for those not being hsed. Great idea ColinsMum!

Breakaway4

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...