Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 391 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #61376 11/15/09 08:17 PM
    JenSMP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Would anyone care to share their experience/success/struggles with ADHD medication with your gifted child? I keep trying to find alternative explanations (other than ADHD) for ds's behaviors, and I've always thought I wouldn't consider medication unless ds was having trouble learning. While he is certainly ahead of grade-level, he's also a classic underachiever. I've been attributing this to lack of challenge in school, hence the start of homeschooling a couple of months ago. BUT, I'm beginning to wonder if part of the relative underachievement (for his ability level) could also be related to ADHD. He certainly has all the symptoms. It's nice to call them gifted overexcitabilities (to me it sounds less foreboding), but what difference does it make what we call it if the behaviors are all the same? Am I doing ds a disservice by withholding potentially beneficial medication? If he had been able to focus these past few years, could he have cured cancer by now? Obviously, I'm kidding and exagerating, but he could potentially be capable of sooooo much more, right? Don't get me wrong, I'm not a pushy parent who expexts miracles just because we have a gifted diagnosis. But, what if all he needs is ADHD medication to be happy and well-adjusted? How much he's achieved is less of a concern to me than how he feels. He tells me he feels that he can't control his feelings and that he has to be in motion to be able to think. His coping skills are extremely poor.

We already try many behavioral strategies which sometimes work and sometimes do not. We are beginning a new school (a Montessori school we feel very good about) in January. Should we give that a shot before considering a full evaluation to rule out or confirm ADHD? Or should I go ahead and do a full work-up with the behavioral pediatrician and get her opinion before ds starts the new school?

I'd really appreciate hearing your experience with ADHD meds for your gifted child. My bf's son is taking a low dose ADHD medication, and I'm amazed at the difference. Still the same great kid with a great personality, but it's like he has matured 2-3 years in the month since I've last seen him. I also read this article which is making me really think. If you have the time to check it out, I'd really appreciate it!

http://www.addvance.com/help/parents/gifted_child.html

Jen

V
    V
    As a parent I tried the med route with my son. It was very unsuccessful and he had major reactions. On the flip side as a teacher I have seen students do amazing on them. The key is to work closely with the doctor to find the correct dosage. It takes alot of time to get the med that works and at an effective dosage.

J
    J
    I don't have any experience with medicine but wanted to say that if you're seeing the behavior and you think that there might be something else going on you can always get a few opinions from doctors. I'd be leery about just trusting what the school is telling you but now you have your DS telling you things and you're with him more to observe his behaviors.

I know that in my case the schools were pushing me to put DS on medicine but I didn't see the ADD behaviors at home and after getting a few opinions I'm fairly certain that he doesn't have ADD at all. If I did see the behaviors that they were mentioning I'd probably be getting a 4th opinion smile

You have to trust your instincts as a mom. You know your kid the best!

M
    M
    I'm no doctor and can only reply from exerience. I would have been labeled "hyper" as a child; equivalent to ADHD today. I believe my parents used to give me coffee to 'calm down' and once tried medication. A complete failure. As a youngster I remember actually telling people that I couldn't 'shut off my mind'. I was ALWAYS thinking and moving.

My parents didn't know what to do, so in the end didn't do much to help me. It wasn't until I was in my late teens that I had the chance to try to get my mind under control. I started with yoga, then tai chi, then meditation. What a miracle! If I had had the chance to start these practices as a kid what a difference it would have made.

I think, for me anyway, I didn't have an 'Attention Deficit' or 'Hyperactivity'. I just saw and felt and experienced EVERYTHING. So while the person sitting next to me only saw the bird flying by and felt happy that they saw the bird and enjoyed the experience. I saw the bird, the prey it was after, the person sitting next to me on the bench, the dog in the park, the flower blowing in the wind you get the point; I felt upset at the bird, sad for the prey, curious about the person, anxious about the dog, and hopeful that I'd get to pick the flower; I experienced EVERYTHING ALL AT ONCE. So it wasn't a deficit or hyperactivity. It was that I was capable of so much more than the average person. I just had to learn to tame it.

It took lots longer to tame the beast without medication and I am so enourmously happy that I did.

Do a google search on ADHD myth books. You'll find alot of information out there. Good luck in your journey.

K
    K
    Originally Posted by Momma Bear
    I think, for me anyway, I didn't have an 'Attention Deficit' or 'Hyperactivity'. I just saw and felt and experienced EVERYTHING. So while the person sitting next to me only saw the bird flying by and felt happy that they saw the bird and enjoyed the experience. I saw the bird, the prey it was after, the person sitting next to me on the bench, the dog in the park, the flower blowing in the wind you get the point; I felt upset at the bird, sad for the prey, curious about the person, anxious about the dog, and hopeful that I'd get to pick the flower; I experienced EVERYTHING ALL AT ONCE. So it wasn't a deficit or hyperactivity. It was that I was capable of so much more than the average person. I just had to learn to tame it.

Interesting Momma Bear. This is a lot how I felt as a child. I felt like I had all this mental energy without anything to expend itself on but obsessing on my environment. I'm sure there's a label for it these days.

I've found yoga, meditation, and jogging to be very helpful!

M
    M
    Oh jogging! Also super helpful!

JenSMP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Momma Bear

I hope I quoted that correctly!

THIS describes my ds so well. In fact, this is how he describes himself; he's quite verbally gifted, yet at 6 he doesn't describe himself quite so eloquently. BUT, in his own words, this is what he says too!

He's so aware and feels so much. He is interested and learns a great deal about what's going on around him but is overwhelmed by it at the same time. I spoke with my doctor about it today; he is not ds's doctor, but he does see children. He suggested waiting until ds has some time to get adjusted at the Montessori school. He thinks medication should always be a very last resort and should only be used if significant learning and/or social/behavior problems exist. He is concerned about the cardiac effects specifically and has stopped prescribing stimulants completely. For those meds, he refers you to another doc.

Ds has been going to that small private school for enrichment classes, and he's in heaven when he's there. He never has a meltdown or attention issues when he's there. He's not confined to a desk and doesn't have to be quiet the whole time, but they see no problems at all and want ds to attend full-time. Why doesn't he act that way for me? confused Actually, I have to say that on the days that he goes there, he's great when he gets home too.

M
    M
    I think there are more of us out there. It takes us awhile to put it into words. Some of never do.

Montessori if a true one, should be a great help. Look for AMS or AMI certified school and teachers. AMS is a bit more liberal for lack of a better term. Either way one of the main points is to help the child focus. In the case of someone that sees/feels/experiences everything all the time and at once, it can be such a wonderful experience to focus on one thing.

So don't be surprised if your DS chooses what you would think is baby work to begin with. It may be pouring water, working on a lacing board or doing the land/air/water work over and over again for a month. Imagine what it's like for a kid that is getting so much information and feelings all the time what a breath of fresh air it is to NOT have that for a moment.

Or he may wonder for awhile, also very expected. Lots to see after all.

Either way, it's a great place to start the training of the mind to block out the exterior in an appropriate way.

I'm a certified Montessori teacher if you're wondering. Keep up your hopes, it will work out...because you are aware and you are seeking solutions.

H
    H
    Momma Bear, You have really put into words what I think our DS is also experiencing. Thank you for sharing.

JenSMP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Momma Bear, thank you very much. This is the school's accreditation statement:

Accreditation:
    We are accredited by The American Montessori Society (AMS), the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) and The Commission on International and Trans-Regional Accreditation (CITA). We are affiliated with the International Montessori Council. Under the guidance of Montessori teachers the children progress with excitement and confidence.

It really seems perfect for him. I just wish it wasn't so darn expensive! It's worth it for him though.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by Jamie B
    I don't have any experience with medicine but wanted to say that if you're seeing the behavior and you think that there might be something else going on you can always get a few opinions from doctors. I'd be leery about just trusting what the school is telling you but now you have your DS telling you things and you're with him more to observe his behaviors.

I know that in my case the schools were pushing me to put DS on medicine but I didn't see the ADD behaviors at home and after getting a few opinions I'm fairly certain that he doesn't have ADD at all. If I did see the behaviors that they were mentioning I'd probably be getting a 4th opinion smile

You have to trust your instincts as a mom. You know your kid the best!
    I believe that my daughter (mostly) and son each have difficulty with auditory discrimination and processing and probable attention difficulties. In fact, when my daughter was around seven, two different educational psychologists deemed that she was 2E and I was warned that her compensation abilities would fail eventually by late elementary or middle school. (So we skipped her up a grade into a more advanced per grade school)

This 2E conclusion was reinforced by a developmental pediatrician and by a university educational testing department when she was in 5th grade. (So we looked for the most ambitious high school program that we could afford within driving distance)

Not to jinx the situation, but dd15 is doing extremely well at a challenging school where she takes eight classes plus an additional computer programming class through Gifted Learning Links. She leaves at 5:15am in the morning for swim practice and arrives home around 6:00pm on average after her extracurriculars ,including a club that she founded and leads, then does homework until bedtime. She is kind of a grind on weekdays, but has plenty of social invitations every weekend and maintains relationships by multi-tasking communication with friends while she studies and completes her schoolwork.

This sounds like a brag, and I am terribly impressed by her (and her friends), but my point is that I don�t think she could have achieved this well had we left her in the original, under- challenging environment. I had always said that I would not be opposed to seeking medication for either kid, but I intended to try a different approach first.
    I hope our BTDT experience helps.

M
    M
    You are very welcome smile

N
    N
    Hi there JenSMP,
    You are really committted to getting what is right for your child and I honor your dedication to your family! I love the Montessori education model, best wishes with that. I am not a medical professional and won't comment on meds. One thing that we have found tremendous success with is the Nurtured Heart Approach to engaging with our child. This after nothing else was helping; NHA changes everything. You can get more info. at www.difficultchild.com or www.nurturinggreatness.net.
    I posted about it before in a different forum too.
    Best.

JenSMP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thank you NHAYEAH. I appreciate the recommendation. I've heard the term, but I don't know what the Nurtured Heart Approach is all about. I'll check it out this weekend and see what I can find. Is there a book? I need another one of those, let me tell ya! No, seriously, if it will help, we're all for it. We just want a happy boy!

JenSMP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Just found the other info in a different thread. I'll definitely get the book. Thanks again everyone for your help. I'm back to thinking maybe it's not ADHD. Though, I've been here before. Ask me what I think tomorrow! He is very intense and difficult, regardless, so it sounds like the book is a good place to start.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM