Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by Jamie B
    I don't have any experience with medicine but wanted to say that if you're seeing the behavior and you think that there might be something else going on you can always get a few opinions from doctors. I'd be leery about just trusting what the school is telling you but now you have your DS telling you things and you're with him more to observe his behaviors.

I know that in my case the schools were pushing me to put DS on medicine but I didn't see the ADD behaviors at home and after getting a few opinions I'm fairly certain that he doesn't have ADD at all. If I did see the behaviors that they were mentioning I'd probably be getting a 4th opinion smile

You have to trust your instincts as a mom. You know your kid the best!
    I believe that my daughter (mostly) and son each have difficulty with auditory discrimination and processing and probable attention difficulties. In fact, when my daughter was around seven, two different educational psychologists deemed that she was 2E and I was warned that her compensation abilities would fail eventually by late elementary or middle school. (So we skipped her up a grade into a more advanced per grade school)

This 2E conclusion was reinforced by a developmental pediatrician and by a university educational testing department when she was in 5th grade. (So we looked for the most ambitious high school program that we could afford within driving distance)

Not to jinx the situation, but dd15 is doing extremely well at a challenging school where she takes eight classes plus an additional computer programming class through Gifted Learning Links. She leaves at 5:15am in the morning for swim practice and arrives home around 6:00pm on average after her extracurriculars ,including a club that she founded and leads, then does homework until bedtime. She is kind of a grind on weekdays, but has plenty of social invitations every weekend and maintains relationships by multi-tasking communication with friends while she studies and completes her schoolwork.

This sounds like a brag, and I am terribly impressed by her (and her friends), but my point is that I don�t think she could have achieved this well had we left her in the original, under- challenging environment. I had always said that I would not be opposed to seeking medication for either kid, but I intended to try a different approach first.
    I hope our BTDT experience helps.

M
    M
    You are very welcome smile

N
    N
    Hi there JenSMP,
    You are really committted to getting what is right for your child and I honor your dedication to your family! I love the Montessori education model, best wishes with that. I am not a medical professional and won't comment on meds. One thing that we have found tremendous success with is the Nurtured Heart Approach to engaging with our child. This after nothing else was helping; NHA changes everything. You can get more info. at www.difficultchild.com or www.nurturinggreatness.net.
    I posted about it before in a different forum too.
    Best.

JenSMP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thank you NHAYEAH. I appreciate the recommendation. I've heard the term, but I don't know what the Nurtured Heart Approach is all about. I'll check it out this weekend and see what I can find. Is there a book? I need another one of those, let me tell ya! No, seriously, if it will help, we're all for it. We just want a happy boy!

JenSMP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Just found the other info in a different thread. I'll definitely get the book. Thanks again everyone for your help. I'm back to thinking maybe it's not ADHD. Though, I've been here before. Ask me what I think tomorrow! He is very intense and difficult, regardless, so it sounds like the book is a good place to start.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM