Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 432 guests, and 38 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #61253 11/14/09 10:34 AM
    OP Offline
    Today DD10 reached an important milestone. She walked the dog across the street alone. (We live downtown in a medium sized city - traffic and strangers are issues.)

It's funny considering her mental age that I am so excited that she took the dog to do his business. :-)

DD12, 7th. Dx'd ADHD/GAD. No IQ test. EXPLORE & SAT just miss DYS but suspect HG+
    J
    J
    Congrats to your DD - walking the dog is a big one. We're just now working with DS9 on doing it. We have a bigger dog and I worry that he won't be able to handle her (physically) when passing other dogs and such.....my dog is a friendly one who thinks that everyone wants to meet her and be lifelong friends grin.

JDAx3 #61258 11/14/09 11:17 AM
    OP Offline
    Haha! What kind of dog do you have? We have a border collie who likes to herd everything. He is almost as smart as we are and I secretly wonder if he is doing research on humans to report back to the homeworld.

DD12, 7th. Dx'd ADHD/GAD. No IQ test. EXPLORE & SAT just miss DYS but suspect HG+
    J
    J
    Originally Posted by zarfkitty
    Haha! What kind of dog do you have? We have a border collie who likes to herd everything. He is almost as smart as we are I secretly wonder if he is doing research on humans to report back to the homeworld.

LOL, reminds me of the movie Good Dog. We met the sweetest Border Collie pup on our walk the other day. His person said the same thing about herding....I think he was trying to herd us.

We have a lab and she's smart, but...ummm, a little flighty blush. She's easily distracted by butterflies and she fancies herself quite the tracking dog. However, we're convinced that her nose doesn't really work (as she can't seem to find the ball right under it) but she'll catch a whiff of something and stand there for a good minute or two on point trying to figure out what the heck it is and where it's coming from....poor thing looks so confused sometimes. Ahh, but we love her!

JDAx3 #61343 11/15/09 02:45 PM
    N
    N
    However, we're convinced that her nose doesn't really work (as she can't seem to find the ball right under it) but she'll catch a whiff of something and stand there for a good minute or two on point trying to figure out what the heck it is and where it's coming from

Ha, we had a border collie mutt mix that was kind of the other way around. She would catch a whiff of a rabbit and take off, following the winding and twisting path that the rabbit had taken, while the actual rabbit sat there in plain sight at the end of his track and watched her. Her nose worked fine, but her eyes didn't!

Nautigal #61344 11/15/09 02:56 PM
    I love all the dog stories. We have two golden retrievers. Goldens are intelligent dogs and our one dog who looks like the typical golden that you see on the dog food bags is very intelligent. But our other dog who is show quality lacks a little in the brain department. He got more of the pretty stick and less of the brains. But they both make us laugh daily. As for noses ... my dogs could be drug dogs. It always amazes me how advanced their noses are.

But to bring this back on topic ... I couldn't imagine my 3 year old walking our monsters even at 10 and certainly not downtown. You definitely should be proud of your DD and yourself for giving her the chance.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM