Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 323 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #60291 11/04/09 12:47 PM
    L
    OP Offline
    L
    My ds8 has essentially been the easiest child, wants to do well etc and does most things when asked. There is a behavior coming to light that ,now that I look back, I've see before and it's becoming a problem. There are just certain things that he doesn't like others to tell him what to do. The coach wants him to catch a ball a certain way. His response 'why? My way is just fine' and he misses a lot of balls. His teacher says write your name here and he writes it someplace else, on purpose.If he writes it in the right place, it's super small and light, so it's hard to read. The are a few other places that this is coming up but you get the idea. I've read that the resisting authority can come up, but I haven't found much on ways to work through it. It's starting to interfere with his ability to learn new things. I'm wondering about perfectionism, visual spatial issues. Yikes, it's kind of complex. Any ideas?

O
    O
    I'm not sure if this is your situation, but I'll offer this anyway.

Sometimes when kids don't feel incharge enough of themselves they resist authority. I think it is better to not get into a power struggle about these situations.

You might ask later, I notice you did this and was wondering about it. Then see what he says. You could also use a third person approach that kids will listen to more easily sometimes. Ex. Say sometimes when kids play baseball sometimes they don't want to listen to their coach. I wonder why?

Also giving kids more choices and being more in charge can help. My son prefers to do his morning chores in his order instead of mine. My kids prefer to pick out their snack for school to put in their school bag. Lots of little things can add up.

Also avoid telling kids what to do too much helps. This is hard for me but the more they can think for themselves the better. Parenting books give lots of tips on ways to talk to kids for better coroporation.

I hope some of this helps.

O
    O
    one more thought, the science of baseball

http://www.exploratorium.edu/baseball/howfar.html

L
    OP Offline
    L
    Thank you all for your ideas. We are a pretty choices oriented family so I think we'll try the 'why of it' more often and maybe in more detail and see if that helps.

He has to learn the difference between earned authority and unearned authority.

Those who have experience in the subject are often giving him advice to improve his skills. Just as he can see what others are doing and see a better way, he is also observed and then provided with a better way to do things.

Tell him to try it as an experiment to see if its better. As he gets older, he may have to try several different approaches before he can decide which will work best.

One thing that I think can be really difficult for us as adults to remember is that gifted kids aren't just smarter than other kids, they're smarter than adults. Adults may know more, but a person's ability to process information doesn't really change as they age (if anything, it decays), so these kids can often figure things out in half the time it takes the grown-ups in their lives. They know this, and it can lead to questioning any and all authority. Just a case of "I'm smarter than you, so I can figure it out myself". Austin's comment about teaching him the concept of earned authority is good. He also needs to learn the difference between knowledge and intelligence.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by zhian
    He also needs to learn the difference between knowledge and intelligence.
    And how those differ from wisdom.

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    Originally Posted by Dandy
    Originally Posted by zhian
    He also needs to learn the difference between knowledge and intelligence.
    And how those differ from wisdom.

Wisdom is reusing old thoughts because you're no longer accustomed to having new ones....or that's what I tell my dad anyway. wink

There's an interesting symbolism in the Chinese language on this subject actually. 知 means "knowledge" and 智 means "wisdom". Notice they have two symbols in common. The third symbol that makes the difference between knowledge and wisdom means "days".

Edit: okay, so Chinese characters don't show up on this board. Erm...just copy and paste this into your address bar if you want to see them: http://translate.google.com/translate_t?prev=hp&hl=en&js=y&text=%E7%9F%A5%E6%99%BA&file=&sl=auto&tl=en&history_state0=#auto|en|%E7%9F%A5%20%2C%20%E6%99%BA

Last edited by zhian; 11/12/09 06:42 AM.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations