Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 460 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    One of the schools we're considering is a core knowledge charter. What I like about the school is that it groups kids into 4 or 5 different ability levels per grade per subject, and seems to allow for quite a bit of advancement in math. But the math curriculum is Saxon, which I know little about. Someplace here I saw a comment that Saxon spirals, at the expense of depth (the idea of a spiraling math curriculum does not give me the warm fuzzies). The kids in question are rather visual learners, if that makes any difference.

If they're willing to skip a kid up it might work out. The only thing I know about Saxon is that it is nearly impossible for a teacher to adapt it on the fly. As far as depth, I've heard varying opinions, but it seems possible to teach it very superficially, with an emphasis on rote learning and no understanding... and equally possible that a good teacher would do it much better. With no personal experience I can't really say with certainty one way or the other on that one.

Erica
    My oldest had Saxon math when he attended a public charter school. That pretty much killed his enjoyment of math. Though he was in the highest group, Saxon did not present new material fast enough and the repetitive drills drove him crazy, as his dysgraphia made it hard for him to ever finish the worksheet in the allotted time. YMMV, but Saxon was a poor fit for my ds in grades 4-7.

I do like their kindergarten math, if that's any consolation. smile

O
    O
    My DS6(1st Grade) and DD9(3rd Grade) feel Saxon Math is too slow for them. I have heard that it is very slow paced and has a spiraling effect of learning which could be very good for someone who needs this. My son could do Multiplication, Division and 4 digit addition in K. He is gifted. My DD has not been tested. I would not recommend this Math for Gifted. Although, like in our case some adjustments could help make it more tolerable. Teaching Gifted Children in the regular classroom has other suggestions with Saxon too. (I would borrow this book from the library before you decide to buy. I found it to be helpful but many ideas are too hard to impliment in our school.)

My DS in 3rd Grade has tested above grade level in Math. This year they are allowing him to skip side B of the daily worksheet and letting him go ahead of class on side A. Some of the work he is doing feels very babyish because he could do it in K. School lets him work on his Mindware Math Workbook when he has extra time. This helps a lot adding depth to Math during his day. The gifted teacher is doing 4th Grade Math wih him and another child, allowing him to skip some not needed work. This has been going very well. I do not think it would work if my DS was just skipped to 4th Grade because it would be too slow.

Last edited by onthegomom; 11/05/09 07:15 AM.
    DD6 is in 2nd grade and they do Saxon math. She doesn't like the repetition and it moves too slow for her. On the up side she says that she's really, really good at math. smile

I forgot to add that DD5 (she's in K) does love to do her older sister's worksheets, so I make copies for her before DD6 does her homework, so maybe it's just the level their doing at school that is the problem.

Last edited by Skylersmommy; 11/06/09 12:33 AM. Reason: added info
    F
    F
    I taught DS7 with Saxon math for 2 weeks last year. I absolutely hated it. We gave up after 2 weeks. Lots of repetition and unchallenging are our main complaints.

Cindi
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Thanks for sharing your experiences, I really, really appreciate it. For other reasons, I'm now more confused than ever about what we're shooting for in terms of a school. But I'm sure I'll be referring back to these posts yet again. So much to think about....

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM