Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 115 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #60790 11/09/09 08:42 PM
    L
    OP Offline
    L
    I heard a radio interview today on XM Radio on the Dr. Oz show (XM156) and he was interviewing Po Bronson about his new book, Nurture Shock. The conversation was very interesting - one thing he talked about was testing kids for giftedness too early and then leaving out late bloomers (my thought was that don't we have the opposite problem - that testing is done too late for many?). He also mentioned that problems associated with giftedness are not directly linked to the giftedness - it's how we react to the child's giftedness that messes them up (I was trying to drive in traffic while listening so don't take that as a direct quote). Looking at the reviews on Amazon.com you can actually get a pretty good idea of the content of the book. It looks like there is a chapter on giftedness however that is not the focus of the whole book. Anyway, the radio interview made me want to read the book. They re-run the shows on the weekend but I never know when a given show is re-run from the week before.

Has anyone read the book?

D
    D
    Here's a link to a conversation from last month. The OP also provided a link to an radio program on NPR.

http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....eShock_The_damage_we_caus.html#Post57358

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    L
    OP Offline
    L
    Thanks for the link - I tried doing a search on this site but I put a space between Nurture and Shock so it didn't pop up.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent