Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 391 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    DD7 has a hard time getting to sleep. I sent her to bed at 8:30 with a book. She is still up there reading at 10:20. Most nights aren't like this, but she had reported that some nights she will stare at the ceiling for hours and cannot get to sleep.
    DD5 woke up at around 3:00a.m. almost every night until she was 3. She still wakes up at this time sometimes.
    Neither of them were good nappers as babies. I was so tired and looked at all the other sleeping, peaceful babies. I used to just not understand why my babies never seemed to sleep.
    DD7 was collicky and I used to put her in her car seat on top of the dryer and sit next to her. That was the only way she would sleep during the day.
    I'm still tired. smile

Incog

acs Offline
    DS has always been a very sound sleeper once he gets to sleep--he can sleep through anything. When he's going to sleep he has trouble getting the wheels to stop turning in his head.

Our main problem is that he does not need much sleep and never has. At 12, he needs less sleep than either his father or I do and even when he was younger 9 hours was about all he needed and I need at least 8. So we get him tucked in and then go to sleep, so I can be awake for a half hour or so before I have to deal with him in the morning--I like to be alone in the a.m. Often one of us goes to bed before him so we are rested enough to get up with him in the morning. The one with tucking in duty gets to "sleep in". Now I think I see the real reason why we only have the one child....

acs #6204 12/18/07 05:21 PM
    K
    K
    DS7 was a horrible sleeper until we laid down the law when I was pregnant with #2 when he was 3 1/2. We trained him to stay in his bed and call for his dad! Hahaha! He still does it! He was never much of a napper. He's very high energy and does not need a ton of sleep.

DD3 is climbing to our bed almost every night. She's driving me crazy right now. She was actually a fairly good sleeper as an infant though (compared to DS anyway). I think the stimulation of her older brother helped. She just gave up all naps fairly recently, although it has been on and off for at least 6 months. People regularly comment on how "high energy" they both are. crazy

Anyway - misery loves company! Last night I ended up on the couch because when DD ends up in our bed she usually ends up pushing me out.

kimck - my DS6 slept through the night until he was about 3 and he started coming into our room every night too. I put a sleeping bag at the foot of our bed and he got used to just coming in there, not even waking us up, climbing into the sleeping bag and sleeping there the rest of the night. Eventually he gave this up as he got older. It really helped me because I need my sleep!!!! :-)

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM