Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (Val), 215 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #6090 12/17/07 12:22 PM
    Isa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    that GT kids DO sleep through the night .... eventually .... well before college....

By 'through the night' I mean solid 10/12 hours, not just the official 5/6 hours.

Please, reasure me.

Isa #6091 12/17/07 12:31 PM
    My dd has always slept through the night. Does that help? wink Although she stopped taking naps at about 1 year old and hasn't taken one since! My ds is 3 and is following in his sisters footsteps. No Naps for him either! UGH!

Isa-

My kids don't routinely sleep through the night (and I would count 7-8 hours as through the night) until they are 4 or 5. My seven year old still wakes in the middle of the night about once a week and needs reassurance from me or Dad before she goes back to sleep.

If they ever slept ten hours, I would have to keep checking to make sure that they were still breathing!

Sorry, no reassurance here, but plenty of sympathy.

Isa #6096 12/17/07 12:43 PM
    Oh no dear!
    many of them need the sleep - but needing it and getting it are two different things.

My mom used to tell me that in order to rest well, one needed to expend a certain amount of physical energy and a certain amount of mental energy. In my case it was always a matter of getting up from studying in high school and runnning around, but for our little ones, it's more a matter of needing to have a reasonable amount of mental stimulation (again with the Goldilocks - not too hot, not too cold) during the day is the first problema.

Problema dose, is the difficulty in winding down that intellecutal energy. It's litterally difficult to turn those brains off.

Problema tres is the imbalance between emotional normal maturity with intellectual awareness of things way, way outside the norm. So how can I sleep with Global Warming hoovering over me? Try your best to block and protect, but the best you will be able to do is 'filter.'

And some kids really don't need that many hours.

Lately we've been really really strict with the 8:45 bedtime, quiet lying down with one parent for 30 minutes, the other parent for the rest of the job...usually means dosing off and then creeping back into the real bed later. DS11 just doesn't have the same sleeping equipment as other kids. He could be breathing deeply, slowly and rythmically, for 20 minutes, when the parent tries to disentangle. Often he'll come to full alert status with the first step on the floor. What seems to help is to keep him on the same schedual even on the weekends! When we get him to bed on time on the weekends, he will sleep until 9 or 10 am, but if we let him stay up late (because we aren't disiplined enought to give up on the fun and do the work) he's up at 5am. Does he need more sleep than he's getting? I believe he does.

((shrugs))
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Just to add: My son (3) didn't sleep through the night the entire first year of his life. Not one single night. I was a walking zombie. However we don't know if ds is GT like his big sis.

Also my dd never slept the amount of hours suggested for her age. Early on when they are said to get about 14hrs of sleep, dd would only get 10. Now that she's older Im not sure what is common but she sleeps about 9 hours.

Q
    Q
    I completely understand! DS did not sleep through the night - ever - until he was four and a half. And the global warming thing absolutely! But for us it's that asteroid out there somewhere that may collide with the Earth... And even now, it's rare that he can sleep through the night. And why did we ever buy a house where he's upstairs by himself? If only I had known...

Isa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    DD is 4.2 yr old and she has no trouble falling sleep because I still nurse her !
    Otherwise, just forget it, except from time to time when she collapses in front of the TV.

She goes to bed around 7ish, which is great!

And then she awakes around ... midnight and then 3 or 5 am...

After midnight DH goes and bring her to our bed. By that time DS is as well with me in the big bed and I feel like a sandwich.

I love to cosleep with DD or DS but not with DD AND DS.

I agree with Trinity that both mental and physical challenge are the key, and I will not speak to her about global warming yet.

I'm *so* sorry for those of you with sleepless nights! That's my idea of H-E-double-toothpicks right there!

Happily my kids take after me: they eat well and they sleep well, and always have. The first slept 6+ hours at 6 weeks, the 2nd at 8 weeks. (My pediatrician told me not to tell that to other mothers though, since it will make me despised. Sorry all!)

Truly, though, I think it's a survival mechanism for them. It's likely they wouldn't have survived this long if they didn't let Mom get her sleep! smile

Kriston
    My son has always been a wonderful sleeper. It seems our problem now is that he has a hard time settling down at night. His brain keep running and he constantly needs questions answered or reassurance that a problem he is working on in his head is indeed correct. He also likes to listen to the sports games on the radio which tends to keep him up a little later than I would like.

Crisc
    Welllll....
    One has to successfully initiate the desired state, then
    One has to maintain that state.
    And if interrupted, one must quickly regain that desired state.

Some kids find all three tough, other just have trouble with one or two.
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM