Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 333 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    M
    M
    My son(16) is one of those compliant ones and has always been respectful of allowing teachers to teach. He also has that nurturing side of teaching others. As far as I can ascertain he enjoys doing it.

One interesting point though was I never realised until this year how much he sits back and observes. I had to attend a university residential school for 4 days with him. He never said a word through all the lectures and tutorials unless asked and barely took any notes. By the end of day 3 I was becoming a bit concerned by his apparent non involvement. When I asked him about it he said he already knew the work. I then asked was he bored. He said no he finds it very interesting to see how other people react and solve problems.

I say go with your gut feeling and advocate for your daughter, after all you are the one that truely knows her. Also the views of the other parents speak volumes, as it is often the views from another perspective of those not directly involved that give you the answers you are looking for. Good luck and best wishes.

matmum

G
    GM5 Offline
    G
    The not wanting to write reminds me of my GD5. Her fine motor skills are not advanced like her reading, math etc. She also has perfection tendencies and gets frustrated when her writing does not turn out the way she wants it to. A year ago, she would not even draw because she insisted she didn't know how or even color much. At least now she likes to draw - what a change! Hopefully, her writing will be the same. She has quite a bit of writing homework (in Kindergarten) and I have a very difficult time getting her to complete it. However, she is actually getting much better at printing and I try to encourage her. She would be much more receptive to practicing in fun ways, but just does not want to write work to turn in at school.

Anyway, writing is not a good indicator of giftedness for most kids. BTW, GD says her favorite parts of school are lunch and recess. She has mostly typical K work at school and gets very bored then tends to act out.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM