Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 381 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    matmum #60589 11/07/09 07:28 AM
    My son drives everyone crazy with bizarre voices and jokes. He does not do this at home much and it is really hurting his social life at school. This is really the one thing I would just like an OFF button for.

Breakaway4 #60785 11/09/09 07:48 PM
    S
    S
    DS5 has always had those overexcitabilities, some more than others. He doesn't really have anxiety much at all, but has sound sensitivity and perfectionism....and overal goofiness if that counts. Some things have gotten significantly better. Like he used to have major sounds sensitivities, even as an infant. He used to cry when our friends would come over when some of them had loud laughs, it was quite amusing. He has always had excellent hearing too...but thankfully that and some of the other things have gotten better. He still has significant perfectionistic tendencies, and I attribute that generally to his own self drive and to the fact that he has not been wrong much in his life (academically speaking, he is clearly wrong about other things and in behavior at times). He is in first grade and skipped K, they are giving him some work that is several grade levels ahead (and some that unfortunately is way below what they should be giving him..but they are trying) and he always gets all his work right, every single problem. He has never not gotten 100% on his spelling tests, etc. So when he is doing algebra or something on the computer and he gets one problem wrong he starts to get emotional at times and says "I am not good at this." It is quite frustrating, because he is doing so well. His school arranged for a math professor from a local university to meet with him recently to discuss his program and how to meet his needs. He said that he was playing a game with the math professor and that he didn't like it because he never did win and the professor always did. He couldn't figure out why he couldn't win, and then assumes that he is not good at things. he still loves to challenge himself in spite of this, but I worry that he will lose that if he is not challenged more.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM