Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 280 guests, and 36 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    L
    OP Offline
    L
    Hi all-
    I'm wondering what other acivities your kids do. My ds8 has never been interested in sports or music. I think we are coming to the end of sports 'just for fun'. He has playdates with friends. Loves video games (not my favorite activity but helps socially to connect with others), builds with Legos and reads, reads, reads. I'd like to offer him some new activities but am afraid of something that comes to close to school work such as math club. Do some kids just focus on learning and that's it?

J
    J
    I tried soccer with my DS and he hated it. He's only 5 though so I might try it again next year. He does gymnastics but I think after this year he won't be interested in that. I looked into instrument lessons (not sure if he would like it) but they're way too expensive so basically he just plays at home.

O
    O
    I feel like my DS9 needs to have constant learning opportunites and I try to keep it fun. Here's some ideas - hope something is new: Chess, Scratch - computer programing, Lego robotics, yo yo tricks, Library classes, Park nature classes & hiking, rock climbing, Skiing, Museum and Zoo classes, origami, weaving, pottery, learn to draw books, Bug collectors and books to identify, Jacobs Ladder type String Games, Paper Aiplane Books, Science Experiments for kids, Games, Make comic strips, make flip books, magic tricks, card tricks, cook together, Look at recreation center for classes,

Unplugged play : no batteries, no plugs, pure fun / Bobbi Conner
    The kids winter handbook / by Jane Drake & Ann Love (There is also a summer version)
    Loreen Lidy Books, http://loreenleedy.com/

http://info.scratch.mit.edu/Support

http://www.popupbooks.com/

Last edited by onthegomom; 10/30/09 10:40 AM.
    D
    D
    Our DS8 chose karate & tennis on his own. He's been with karate for a couple of years and tennis for just over one. Quite happy in both. They've both helped to provide challenge when it was sorely lacking in school.

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    We found for sports (or active pursuits in general), we had to think pretty far outside the box.... Virtually our whole town plays soccer, does Ninjitsu, and swims. DS can play soccer but doesn't like it that well, hated all the martial arts he tried, and swims well but has no interest in joining the team again. So all the obvious choices were shot down...

What we ended up with was tennis, rock climbing, and tap dance. I think he's done with tap dance for now, but it was a good four years or so... Right now it's just rock climbing, although come spring we'll add tennis back in and he might try fencing next year. We also go hiking as a family, and he and DH might shoot hoops every once in a while, but we could do more in that direction.

If you look around a bit (or encourage your DS to look around a bit) you might find there are possibilities you hadn't considered. I never would have guessed that our local Parks and Rec would have a climbing wall if DS hadn't asked me to find one!

Erica
    Originally Posted by Learningmom
    My ds8 has never been interested in sports or music.
    In our town, music is introduced through the schools in 5th grade. DS hadn't been very interested before that, but he was allowed to do band with the 5th graders when he was in 4th grade to see if he would be able to build friendship 'in case' a skip was going to be offered. He loved his brass instrument. I think that if the school offers music, that it's a great idea to take them up on it, if the child has any interest.

I think that at age 8 it's fine not to have a 'sport' as long as the child is playing actively. Kick ball, wall ball, king of the hill and tag were school yard games that my son grew to love between ages of 9 and 11. At age 8, most of DS's agemates were involved in 'little hitters' and 'little kickers' etc. It was hard to line up a play date that didn't conflict with the sports schedule. When asked which sport DS played, I'd say: 'Oh, DS retired from professional sports.'

HTH,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    T
    Tiz Offline
    T
    Our DS7 does tennis (since January) and karate (for last 12 months). Those are his only "out of school" activities. He does piano lessons during school and loves them.

N
    N
    DS6 plays soccer - it is his passion - he has played since he was 4, Spring, Summer and Fall - and this year we've discovered they play indoors for the winter, so he's signed up for that too. He isn't interested in any other sport yet. He also recently joined Tiger Cubs, which he really enjoys.

L
    OP Offline
    L
    Thank you! Sometimes I just get worn at having to come up with new activities. We do ski and canoe, and he does play wall ball, so he is getting outside activities. Karate was fine until they started sparring then 'it was too violent'. I'm excited about the Scratch site! How cool!

L
    OP Offline
    L
    Wow, that was lovely. And it gave me an avenue I hadn't considered before. Many thanks-

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM